4 birds in 1 aviary.. will they breed ?

Moderator: Mods

r6power

4 birds in 1 aviary.. will they breed ?

Post by r6power »

Hi guys newbie to IRN here needing some serious help..
I've had conflicting information Given to me so please share your experiences.

My aviary is 3m x 2.5m (9.6ft x 8ft)
I have a bonded pair which I just acquired and put in the aviary but they haven't had a successfull clutch of babies yet so its 8 months before I'll find out if I'm going to be successfull next season, the breeder is confident they'll do good next season.

So not wanting to take a risk of no babies.. I looked around for a second pair to put into the aviary but some breeders have told me they may fight and not breed and potential kill each other, and that I should separate the pairs.

So what should I do

Will 2 pairs breed in 1 large aviary ??

BTW I'm down under in australia .. Hello fellow Aussies and IRN lovers all over :)
Ring0Neck

Re: 4 birds in 1 aviary.. will they breed ?

Post by Ring0Neck »

but some breeders have told me they may fight and not breed and potential kill each other, and that I should separate the pairs.
G'day,

That is sound advice, during breeding season they become territorial and hens very aggresive and could easily attack/kill the other hen etc.

If you get a second pair, i would also suggest to get suspended aviary and keep them separate, this way you do increase chances of babies next season :wink:

Cheers
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
r6power

Post by r6power »

Thanks for your reply .. at the moment there is no aggression between them.. I will split the aviary down the middle with wire mesh as its gonna be a waste of such a large aviary.

When should I do this the latest . Before breeding starts .. will I be ok until march ?
Or do u recommend doing it imeadiately.

Cheers
r6power

Post by r6power »

Is splitting the aviary down the middle sufficient or do they need to be seperate and distant from one another ?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Splitting is fine.
Yes, if you can finish works before March would give them sufficient time to accomodate to the new setup.
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

i would suggest that the partition be made from something other than wire so that the pairs can't see each other cause if one bird in a cage wants to bond with one in the other cage they can't breed and then you won't have any babies