Buying cage's online

Moderator: Mods

Tyeman

Buying cage's online

Post by Tyeman »

anyone had any good experience's buy massive cages online like ebay and such.. they seem allot cheaper but not sure wether to risk it..

Or anyone know where the best place to buy a massive cage in brisvegas is...
Ring0Neck

Re: Buying cage's online

Post by Ring0Neck »

What sort of cages?

Indoors ? Ebay & Gumtree is a good place to try. Ebay pickup if possible or make sure seller has good /high ratings read feedback.

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hi Tyeman, looks like where are on the same boat :D . I found this really massive cage for really great prize. It is from petco and it costs around 200$ but this cage is really large. It has a play top on top and you can remove the seed guards. Here is the link:http://www.petco.com/product/114150/Pet ... -Cage.aspx
Search around forums or check into online bird stores and the likes. Tell me what you think of this cage :)
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

I have shopped extensively and purchased all my cages, except the veeeeeery first two, years ago, online. One of the most important things I've learned is that you have to be sure to verify the bar spacing (we all knew that) and also the wire gauge. Wire gauge (thickness) is frequently difficult to discover, with information hidden in the description or missing. Regardless, you must have this information, as well as an understanding of what you need, before you buy. Not only do you need a strong enough wire for your particular species, but a wimpy wire may be indicative of overall poor quality. Also, it can make the cage flimsy under its own weight.

When buying online you will have to be careful to make *no assumptions* about the cage. Verify every detail and feature that is important to you before you commit. If feeder doors are important to you, for example, verify not only that they are present, but that they are in a sensible location, how they operate, if they have locks, and how the locks operate. You would be well served if you keep a list of features you want and deal breakers, so you can see how a cage measures up. It might be a good idea to search for features others have found useful in their cages. I think AlphaWolf has a thread on shopping for cages that could be helpful. Also, if you find a likely model, you should ask around to see who has it and how they feel about it. You can also go to a store in person and see other models by the same maker, for instance, with a feature that interests you, so you can evaluate it there.

I understand that if you find a cage you like but are not happy with a certain aspect, you might be able to contact the manufacturer and have them create one for you custom. That probably runs into money, but it can't hurt to ask if there is a cage that is *almost* perfect. I always like to try and see the entire product line from a particular maker, on their website, as well. Sometimes you can special order what a seller doesn't normally carry. Ask about fees. And, as always, shop around. Prices vary between sellers, sometimes drastically, including shipping charges.

If you are considering a used cage, there are a number of other considerations, such as seller trustworthiness, if any parts are rusted (just say no), what might be damaged or missing. Inspect photos very carefully, even copying them into your photo program and enlarging them to see better. Don't be shy about asking questions and requesting additional photos. Don't accept vague answers or guestimates on the seller's part. Be aware of likely points of trouble, such as a pan that is cracked (plastic) or bent out of shape (metal).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some examples on wire thickness and surprises you could get: My original 30 x 18 x 18 inch budget grade Canary cages are made of a very thin wire which makes them fairly flimsy. They were sold as stacking, so I was surprised. Canaries are never going to test the strength of their cages, so, I refrained from setting my cup of tea on top the Canaries and all was tentatively well. If I moved them they generally smooshed out of shape a little and it was always a bit dicey. The same maker presents a 30 x 30 x 18 inch (or so) model that I was initially tempted to buy. However, in the thin wire, I really don't think it would have stood under its own weight for long. Great price, but I had to pass.

In contrast, I bought some slightly fancier, yet smaller, cages for my Mom, and in a thicker wire, they were built like a brick house. Every time she gets sick I schlepp her birds between houses, and I never have to worry about those cages. You may not have to drive your bird around, but you might want to push him from room to room, as you move through the house, or to get a look out the window, or whatever. Also parrots take a good bit of "stuff" in their cages, and the weight adds up. However, the doors on these cages are difficult for my mom to operate, due to their small size.

I took a flyer when I bought my flight cages (pardon the pun). I bought the first online from a small businessman, however, who was personally familiar with his product. He used to bring them to my local bird show and set them up there. Through discussion with him I was confident to try, and I love the cages. They are the measure against which I evaluate all other cages. Still, I was surprised by how much junk collects in the space where the divider I don't use would be. During discussion on their suitability for an Alexandrine, however, I learned the wire thickness was iffy, and it would depend on the bird whether he destroyed it or not. For the record, I believe the thickness of that wire is just a hair under 3mm. I'm getting away with it, with regards to extra junk I pile on, but thicker would be better.
-MissK
Tyeman

Post by Tyeman »

thnx guys

AlphaWolf wrote:Hi Tyeman, looks like where are on the same boat :D . I found this really massive cage for really great prize. It is from petco and it costs around 200$ but this cage is really large. It has a play top on top and you can remove the seed guards. Here is the link:http://www.petco.com/product/114150/Pet ... -Cage.aspx
Search around forums or check into online bird stores and the likes. Tell me what you think of this cage :)
yea i dont think those guys ship to aus i was looking at this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XXL-Large-Bi ... 0714894169 but im just not sure all the cage sellers seem to have a few bad feedback with the cages being delivered bent or something seems like a bit of a gamble.. Its a bumma becaue the same cage from a pet shop over here is like 1.000.00 or over
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Nice article on cages MissK but is it really safe to buy a used cage? The previous tenant may have died of some rampamt virus.
AJPeter
Tyeman

Post by Tyeman »

AJPeter wrote:Nice article on cages MissK but is it really safe to buy a used cage? The previous tenant may have died of some rampamt virus.
AJPeter

Yea i think if i did buy a used one i would give it a thorough spray with disinfectant before letting my birds anywhere near it..