double whammy: a healthy meal and foraging toy

Moderator: Mods

electronegative

double whammy: a healthy meal and foraging toy

Post by electronegative »

Hey guys,

I made spring rolls for lunch today and Peaches wanted some badly. I didn't give her any, because I had shrimp and peanut sauce in them, but I thought - the wrappings are made from 100% rice flour, so why don't I put stuff that's good for her in them and let her go at it?

Well, it was a success. I stuffed corn, peas, edamame, lettuce, spinach, plain organic yogurt, and strawberry in one, wrapped it up well, and gave it to her. She not only loved it, but kept coming back just to pull stuff out of it when she wasn't hungry anymore.

In the US, you can find spring roll wrapping in Asian supermarkets or the international foods isle of regular markets.
ellieelectrons

Re: double whammy: a healthy meal and foraging toy

Post by ellieelectrons »

Nice job!

Ellie.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

When I think of spring rolls I think of the ones you get in the local takeaway that have been deep fried.

I'm guessing they are just wrapped in the thin Filo pastry and given? Or in some kind of tortilla wrap? I guess to make it even harder you could use some Jute around it too, maybe hang it up? Sounds a really great idea well done for thinking of it and telling us :)
Loo :)
electronegative

Post by electronegative »

It's sort of like filo, but made completely out of rice flour. I'm talking Vietnamese spring rolls that are just wrapped and eaten without frying.

Will definitely look into hanging it up, I have plenty of hemp rope.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Would a plain mexican flour tortilla shell work for this concept? Would a corn shell be better? And how would you keep them together? Maybe a touch of melted cheddar to act as an adhesive?
MissK

Post by MissK »

You might be able to use something like a toothpick, but maybe less sharp?
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Or maybe a couple of those clip/screw things that come with every new bird toy. That might work