Worried about weening handraised chick

Moderator: Mods

Tabaneske

Worried about weening handraised chick

Post by Tabaneske »

My first hand raised boy is starting the weening/fledging process and he is not taking any of his formula. I goto feed him and he takes maybe a mouthful from the spoon, then spits out any more I feed him. He acts as if he wants food, but then just spits it when I finally manage to get a bit in his mouth. He opens his mouth for food, I go to put the spoon in and he moves away. This is getting frequently frustrating and I am worried because I don't think he is eating any of the food in his cage either. I have veggie pieces that are soft, millet spray, bowl of seed, egg & biscuit mush and some water in his cage. He won't take anything from my hands and eat it either. He just spits it out. He is learning to fly. All I have seen him do in his cage is sit on his perch. It doesn't matter how long he goes without a feed, he only takes a bare minimum mouthful before refusing the rest.

What can I do guys? Is this normal? I am worried he might get dehydrated. Please help. Cheers.

Edit: it is hard to keep sane while dealing with this as my morning sickness is taking its toll on me as well... :?
Kiki22

Re: Worried about weening handraised chick

Post by Kiki22 »

Sounds normal to me, during that stage I just increased the amount of offerings until they are eating enough of the other foods to start cutting feeds down again.