Breeding my lacewings?

Moderator: Mods

Romey_89

Breeding my lacewings?

Post by Romey_89 »

Hello everyone i purchased a male grey lacewing last year, he is now 4 years old. His breeder stated he had never bred before. I also purchased a female blue lacewing she is now about 3 years old. When i purchased her the breeder stated that she had produced one clutch prior with one baby. Around January my pair began to attempt to breed. I observed them, the male would get on top and kiss her. She laid one egg about a week later, and that's it. But when i candled it a 2 weeks later, it was not fertile. I am attempting to breed them again, i will place the nest box in in about a week. I live in northern California. I just was wondering any tips for a higher chance of fertility? Also what color offspring they will produce?
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Breeding my lacewings?

Post by ringneck »

Hello,

It sounds like she might be a young and nervous hen. Because you just purchased her, she might need more time settling in before she successfully reproduces.

The only thing you can do is give her more privacy, ensure her diet is optimal, keep the cage in a higher location, and give her time.

Some hens take a little while to warm up. It's still really early for breeding--mine usually start around march. I believe you have plenty of time.

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C