Up Sticks And Move

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Doodlebug

Up Sticks And Move

Post by Doodlebug »

So today when I got home from work I began the process of moving Dudes cage into the Dining room for the festive period.

I dragged the cage with him still in it as slowly as I could so not to scare him, he was pretty worried but also looked a bit curious too? Like, where the hell is going with me? I put him in position, cleaned him out and put some lovely new toys in his cage and one on his playstand. I sat in the room with him for awhile, and gave him some treats. He looked like he wanted to come out after a bit so I opened his door. It took a few minutes but he came out, and flew straight to me :) I sat still and he looked as if he didn't know what he should do now and flew to his cage first, then his stand. It's been a few hours and he's setlled down now but I will say he is destroying stuff! He has chewed through his wooden ladder so it only is hanging by one hook now and a ball with a jingly bell has bitten the dust too!

I wonder if he will have a playstand left soon lol, he's turned into a termite!!

At least I can stop worrying about it now, they do say that moving is one of the most stressful things you do in life, I can vouch for that!
Loo :)
InTheAir

Re: Up Sticks And Move

Post by InTheAir »

That's great, Loo! He knows you're a safe landing pad.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Well done Doodlebug, so your fears were unfounded?
AJPeter
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Thanks Claire, it did feel SOOO good to know that he wanted me when he was worried. I guess thats something.

Yes AJPeter, as usual I was worrying myself stupid for nothing. In fact, its probably the best thing I could have done because he is now getting used to another room, plus I get him on his table top T stand and bring him from the dining room back into the lounge (where he was) so he has company, PLUS I've took him several times into the kitchen this way too, and he sat eating a walnut half watching me do the ironing. I am trying to get him used to the running water of the tap, he looks at it and I know if he was brave enough to try it, he'd love dunking his head underneath and spreading his wings wide :) I put his stand closer to the tap and flicked some water at him but he is still a little scared.

So yes the situation is better than I hoped for, but still feel sorry for him that he isn't in the main room lol. But the silver lining is that he getting used to the whole of downstairs slowly, he'll probably take to the tap before he takes to my hand!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

He will probably like the cupboard under the stairs best. Some weeks ago Billie was on my shoulder and we were in the kitchen l was peeling potatoes under a running tap, she came down my arm to investigate and l carefully moved her under the stream of water she loved it but has shown no more interest. "Done it, what 's next?!"
AJPeter
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Next is a shower! I can't even begin to think that far ahead, I mean UPSTAIRS is a whole new world lol :lol:
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Loo, do you have a travel cage? I still use mine to bring Sapphire upstairs. Because she loves the shower, she likes the travel cage now too!
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

The breeder gave us the travel cage he came to ours in, it's a crude small wooden thing painted black and it looks like it's been well used! Room for a single perch and that's it but I guess that's all that's needed really?
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

If he doesn't mind it and you can get him in and out, then it is fine.
I use cheap budgie cages, neither bird was worried about them from the start.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I did not think of a budgie cage so l bought a plastic cat travelling box it is nicely enclosed but it does not have a perch does anyone think l should get rid of the cat box and buy a budgie cage?
ajpeter
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

If your bird is happy with a cat cage, there is no problem. I like to have a perch in their cage so they don't slide around on the floor when I'm carrying the cage or driving.
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

That's a great idea to put the bird in the travel cage to go up to the shower... Fats LOVES the shower. Maybe this would have helped him with his travel cage fear.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

AJPeter - just be certain Billie can't get her head between the bars. We had a rather unfortunate experience with Janey when she was little in a cat cage.

Ellie.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Thank you all for your comments , l think it will have to be a budgie cage because l do like the look of the cat door. l will look in the pet shop next time l go.
AJPeter