Ruh Roh.....

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

pattiB

Ruh Roh.....

Post by pattiB »

Well today it happened. Gracie enjoyed being out with us sooooo much she decided she didn't want to "go Home" as we call it. Yikes. I think I'm gonna have to find some Reallllly good fun stuff to entice her to want to go back home! Suggestions! Please!
MissK

Re: Ruh Roh.....

Post by MissK »

Use great food, favourite toys, and become boring.
-MissK
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

MissK wrote:Use great food, favourite toys, and become boring.
I thought we were using great food and fun toys! lol....I don't wanna be boring :lol:
LoL Thanks.
warbuckle

Post by warbuckle »

Plain pasta, white rice or wholewheat bread works for me, or Ringer gets so tired from flying the circuit in my house he goes in voluntarily..lol. Thats why hes out 5 hours from wakeup and then another 4 in the evening

Will
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

That's happened to me before! Mostly everyone says when a bird is hungry it will return to his cage but I had to grab my Kari with a tea towel as she was definitely more interested in the curtain rail than her cage :P
Either that or you can wait for the bird to tire himself out and eventually return, or you could encourage him with his favourite treats :D
Tiff and Kari

AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

If your bird will step up then cover their heads with a scratch and pop them back into the cage. Bingo!
MissK

Post by MissK »

OK, let me try to be more helpful.

Teach the bird to go home when you are not actually putting her away for the day/night. Practice frequently. Include shutting the door and waiting a few seconds to a minute or so, and letting her back out. Do it some more with waiting longer between times letting her out. Do it some more letting her go home, come out, go home, come out, go home, come out, until it is well trained. Do go home/come out exercises close to bedtime. Make going home a common and easy experience. Save a jackpot style treat for when you shut her in and make her stay there for the night. Be sure to go and get this treat AFTER she is in there, so she won't know when it's coming. Obviously, if she sees it in your hand, she'll know the score. Last, do not let bedtime be to only time you make her stay an extended period in the cage, or she will quickly figure out that nighttime is a risky time for going home, and she'll quit. This is probably what's happened to you now.

Let us know how it goes.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Yes that is good MissK!

But for Billie all l nead to do is close the top down and she knows it is either bed time or l want her go in and in she goes.
MissK

Post by MissK »

But *this* is a thread about Gracie.
:wink:
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Ooops!

I keep forgeting other people sorry to Gracie, keep practising the going in ritual until for Gracie it becomes natural to go in when you want.