Who's bird is beginning to moult?

Moderator: Mods

AlphaWolf

Who's bird is beginning to moult?

Post by AlphaWolf »

Ok so using my Sherlock Holmes style deduction, Aero's moult is beginning. First he is itching a LOT! On the cage bars, on the perch, on his toys... Also he enjoys our misting session and love to bathe himself in his water bowl. So anyone noticing an increase of moulting and bathing activity?
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
ellieelectrons

Re: Who's bird is beginning to moult?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Mine are moulting right now but I'm in the Southern Hemisphere. I think you said you are somewhere near the equator, is that right?

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I have found a couple little grey and white feathers in the main flight paths around our house. They aren't from Nila. .. Maybe miss sapphire is starting a moult already?
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

My birds are. The entire place is full of feathers, have to clean up daily. Kiwi is looking so scruffy, now his nickname is Scruffy-boy.

Ash
MissK

Post by MissK »

Seriously, Rocky is throwing downy feathers. I have no idea why, in North America, he's starting a MOULT in DECEMBER.

He's getting less and less light, not more. He's on natural daylight. The house is on an automatic temperature control. I added two Budgies a little over a month ago, and a Canary ten days ago. I've had up a small Christmas tree since the 20th of November. I slept in Rocky's room for three nights last week, but I think the moult had already begin at that point.

I have no reason to believe this is other than a moult. The feathers are not coming in a large amount or unusually fast rate, and it's just the down. He has not lost any larger feathers and shows no indication of plucking. I found a couple Budgie feathers down earlier, but I assumed it was a juvenile moult from the newcomers. All the birds seem to be acting normally, though since the Budgies moved closer, Rocky does spend most of his time in the right half of the cage, nearer to them.

Who has any ideas on halting this unnaturally timed moult? He had a normal moult over the summer. Who has any ideas on the cause?

:?: :o :?: :o :?: :o :!:
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Ok so MissK this is my theory. Maybe the indoor heating gave the false illusion of spring temperature warming up?

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

This is a very good theory, but it doesn't work here.  Our temperature has been getting colder outside, and our house is on a programmed thermostat that keeps it the same temperature.
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Oh I will think of another tomorrow, need to catch some zzz as I'am super tired and it is 1am here lol.

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Found this article online:

What triggers a molt? Circadian rhythms are physical, mental and behavioral changes that follow the daily light cycles that an organism experiences. All living things experience Circadian rhythms, from tiny microbes to plants to animals. The role of light in birds regulates hormone levels which in turn triggers a molt. Again, birds living in the wild experience a very different molt than a pet bird living in a cage that is housed in a room with artificial light.

Could it be hormone levels???

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

It *should* be the light. We were doing some experiments in lighting earlier, but I shut them all off some while ago. The increasing light of summer triggers the n molt, normally. We are having now the decreasing light of winter.
-MissK
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Come to think of it MissK, Camo moulted in January of last year very lightly and then has had this tremendous ongoing moult this summer.
The guy who owns the bird store in Columbia, MD mentioned that twice a year is not uncommon.
-Jen
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I am glad to say that Billie is not showing any signs of moulting. She is still in the mating stage.
AJPeter