5 months IRN help needed

Moderator: Mods

syed101

5 months IRN help needed

Post by syed101 »

hello i bought a pair of IRNs from gumtree ive been told they are from a aviery and was surprised they where sold pretty cheap £130 with a travel cage, i was lucky to own one of these wild in my country so i thought i have to get them these birds mean alot to me as they are my native country birds and they are beautiful. so i then set off to get these during the night where visibilty was poor they where given to me in a travel cage with a black bin liner so i hardly got to check the birds carefuly. i then asked the lady who was selling them what they are fed on she says her dad fed them seeds and millet i then asked her if they had any fruits veg ect she said that her dad did not give them fruit or veg apparently they make there stomaches upset that to me is wrong as i know these birds require a balanced diet so first things first i checked the birds they seemed a bit off colour not the vibrant as they usualy the beaks where inclean aswell as there feathers, from my experience it seems ive rescued them from a mass breeder who didnt actualy care about the birds actual health and diet i then decided to buy a big cage to fit the 2 bought them a good seed mix mixed with pellets added fruits apples first 2 days they didnt eat or drink i kept close eye on there poop they seem fine but looks though they have been treated poorly 3 day they started to eat and drink if i come close to the cage they panic and fly on side im trying to slowly introduce myself to them but what worrys me is that they do not touch pellets fruits or veg at all ;( i also mist sprayed them as they where pretty filthy what also concerns me is that after there feed they sit there together puffed up like falling asleep when i get close to the cage they are alert away from cage they sit and puff up
electronegative

Re: 5 months IRN help needed

Post by electronegative »

syed101 wrote:Hello, I bought a pair of IRNs from gumtree. I was been told they are from an aviary and was surprised they were selling for pretty cheap - £130 with a travel cage. I would be lucky to own one of these wild in my country, so I thought I have to get them. These birds mean a lot to me, as they are my native country birds and they are beautiful.

So I then set off to get these during the night where visibility was poor. They were given to me in a travel cage with a black bin liner, so I hardly got to check the birds carefully. I then asked the lady who was selling them and what they are fed on. She says her dad fed them seeds and millet. I then asked her if they had any fruits, veg, etc. She said that her dad did not give them fruit or veg; apparently they make their stomachs upset.

To me, that is wrong as I know these birds require a balanced diet, so first things first I checked the birds. They seemed a bit off colour, not as vibrant as they usually are. The beaks were unclean as well as their feathers; from my experience it seems I've rescued them from a mass breeder who didn't actually care about the birds actual health and diet.

I then decided to buy a big cage to fit the 2, bought them a good seed mix mixed with pellets, added fruits, apples first 2 days. They didn't eat or drink. I kept a close eye on their poop, they seem fine but looks as though they have been treated poorly. 3 days in they started to eat and drink, but if I come close to the cage, they panic and fly on the side. I'm trying to slowly introduce myself to them but what worries me is that they do not touch pellets, fruits, or veg at all ;( I also mist sprayed them as they were pretty filthy.

What also concerns me is that after their feed they sit there together puffed up like falling asleep. When i get close to the cage, they are alert; when away from the cage, they sit and puff up
Here, I made it readable. You said they're birds from your country - are you in India, then?
syed101

Post by syed101 »

Hello I'm from the uk I did own a wild ring neck in Bangladesh the 2 I have in the uk is related to my original post
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi.

First, thanks to electronegative for cleaning up the text into a more readable format. It matters a lot.

Second, Syed, it does sound like your birds came from a poorly managed situation and probably didn't have any good experiences with people. I'm hoping you can turn them around and get some enjoyment from keeping them.

About the food, I think the first priority is that they eat *something* reliably, even if you know it is not the best food you want them to have. Make sure they don't starve first, and then teach them to appreciate a better menu. Once they calm down and accept that you are living in the same place, they may display flock behaviour by eating when you eat. I think that would be the time to expect them to show interest in any particular food just because you eat it in front of them. Start with the ones you know they will like - nuts, sunflower seeds, oatmeal, apple, grapes, etc. Maybe they will like what your bird in Bangledesh liked.

I don't know how the weather is in the UK right now, but if it's reasonable, you might push the cage temporarily next to an open window for them to get some light. Monitor this so they are not always in sunshine and don't get overheated. You could also use supplemental lighting, but the window is quick and easy...... See if you can give them a half hour of sunshine at least a few times a week, as long as they are not upset or getting too hot or cold or drafty.

They could be sitting puffed up after eating because it's nap time, or they could be cold or ill. Is there any chance of taking them for a check up to a real avian vet? You could make a post asking for vet references in your area, and if anybody has a vet for you I'm sure would let you know. It is also possible they are too skinny and are conserving body heat. Improving diet and giving ample food should help. If there is any chance they are cold, you can provide them a heat lamp or an electric heated perch.

About taming them, or at least getting them more comfortable with you, the very best advice I can give is that you be in the same room with them while you are doing something else in a mostly quiet and non-threatening way. If you can have them in the room where you do your computer, for instance, or where you spend most of your time, they can watch you from a safe distance and get accustomed to you. If you can arrange to sleep where they can watch you it would be good. You can search this forum for taming help.

I am a bit concerned that you have two wild birds in the same cage. I feel it will make it harder for you to tame them. I once consulted a bird breeder about keeping two birds and only one flight cage. They told me it would be acceptable to keep one bird in the big cage and the other in the small cage and just switch them every day or so. I'm not sure how you could do that before you get them following a lure, but it is something to keep in mind if you have to do it. On the other hand, if you can get one a little tame, the other might just follow the example.
-MissK
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

syed101 wrote:they where given to me in a travel cage with a black bin liner
:shock:

Dear lord. Poor little mites.

In answer to your query regarding our weather in the UK MissK, it is turning frosty. I wouldn't put them near open windows right now, in fact not til around May next year lol!

Syed, if you keep giving your birds different fruits and veggies, they will try them. Also try things like pasta (not a lot of) and cereals, my bird loves to share my toast in the mornings. A bit of organic peanut butter on a cracker might go down nicely?

Do let us know how its going.
Loo :)
syed101

Post by syed101 »

Thank you for the replys I keep them mostly with me they do eat drink my main concern for me at the moment is they are healthy I'm always observing there poop and watching any different behaviour but for me to see them always looking tired during the day alert when. I'm around the cage worrys me also today they took some nibbles on a courgette which made me smile it's a step my aim is to make these guys life the best from previous owner asking they are healthy I'm happy