Please Help,,, How possible to Breed IRN to other Species

Moderator: Mods

seagulbird

Please Help,,, How possible to Breed IRN to other Species

Post by seagulbird »

Dear colleagues,
Please anybody can tell me how possible to breed IRN to Red-Crowned Parakeet ... (Yellow Mutation in Specific). Or is there is any other cross-breeding between IRN and other similar species.
MissK

Re: Please Help,,, How possible to Breed IRN to other Specie

Post by MissK »

Try putting your bird in a large flight with a lot of natural elements, some toys and puzzles, opportunity to bathe, and top quality diet including fresh foods. When the bird is comfortable, introduce some bird-safe growing plants. Place a large photograph of the desired other species in close view of the cage. Do *not* include any other birds; just your Ringneck in the cage. Wait for spontaneous generation of young. *Note, cross-breeding season does not come often, so this could take a while. Be patient.
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Thanks Missk for the advice. I really want to breed some Ringatiels from my ringneck and cockatiel.

Ash
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Molossus and Ash,

I am happy to do what I can to help you! :D

Unfortunately, the difference between the Seagull and Budgerigar is probably too great for success. I imagine someone truly dedicated might give it a try, but you would have to rent a home on the beach where Seagulls are found. It could be a little dicey because Budgies are not really sea birds and Gulls are so large in comparison. Why not compromise and try it with a Cobalt Budgie and a Lutino Rubberduckie? You would not have to relocate for that, but it would probably help to situate the flight cage where your bird can hear the tub water running. If anybody can do it, Molossus, you can!

Ash, for Ringtiels just follow the prior instructions and be patient. Very patient. You might have time to pursue higher education, perhaps a Zoology degree, while you are waiting for the Season to really set in. If you minor in Ethics, it might make a nicely rounded course of study. Try to keep an open mind, however, because it *is* equally possible you could end up hatching some Tielrings instead.

Best wishes,
Last edited by MissK on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
seagulbird

Post by seagulbird »

Hi Missk,
Thank you very much, I really appreciate … I will try to do so, the reason that I’m asking is I lost (my Female Red-Crowned Parakeet) and I have Lutino IRN female so I was wondering how possible to move the Red-Crowned Male in. maybe I can just move him close to her cage and monitor the situation.
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

LOL. Thats all i can say. just L*O*frikkikng L.
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

Hello Seagulbird
it is possible to cross-breed certain species of birds. but it is a complicated science, in which I'm not qualified, so I can't answer your question.
I did find it disturbing and offensive that you were ridiculed by the very people you asked for help. I thought this forum was to help and educate people that are new to keeping and breeding birds.
seagulbird

Post by seagulbird »

Hello Zentoucan,

Sorry for misunderstanding, what I meant is to know … and as you mentioned this forum is to help that’s why I’m here ... seeking for help and advice.
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

Hello Seagulbird
there is no misunderstanding, you asked a valid question and there were people's replies, that to me, were judgmental and ridiculing you.
I suggest that you look on the internet for a answer to your question has it with most likely give you answer you're after.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Since Nila loves water and sleeps like a duck sometimes, I have decided to pair him to a polkadot mutation rubber ducky next season. Thanks for solving my pairing crisis, missk.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Zentoucan,

My original post was not an attack on anyone. It describes what I believe to be the correct approach to cross-breeding different species. Further, I did not judge or ridicule anyone. Judgement would be like saying "You are sinful." Ridicule would be like saying "Ha ha ha, you are so stupid!" Judgement and ridicule of seagulbird did not happen here. If I had said "The Red-Crowned Parakeet, aka Kakariki, has a conservation status of Vulnerable in its native range and should not be crossbred at all", now THAT would have been judgemental. But I didn't say that.

My subsequent posts did not address Seagulbird at all. Please do not try to stir up discontent where none exists.
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

InTheAir,

I can't wait to hear how that goes!
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

zentoucan wrote:Hello Seagulbird
it is possible to cross-breed certain species of birds. but it is a complicated science, in which I'm not qualified, so I can't answer your question.
I did find it disturbing and offensive that you were ridiculed by the very people you asked for help. I thought this forum was to help and educate people that are new to keeping and breeding birds.
Hi zentoucan,

I'm happy to hear that it is possible to cross-breed. I didn't post on this thread to ridicule Seagulbird, but rather for my own information. I have a male ringneck and a female cockatiel and would really like to cross-breed between them. The idea popped in my head when Coco started laying eggs, and I even discussed the possibility of Ringatiels or Tielrings with my daughter, and we discussed the possible features the chicks may have, like a green ringneck with a crest and orange cheeks or a cockatiel with a black ring and red beak :) I find all variations acceptable as long as I can get some chicks, and it would save me the trouble of looking and buying a male cockatiel.

Seagulbird, may you just want the IRN and Red crown to be companions to each other, instead of wanting them to breed. I'm sure you can introduce them slowly and see if they like each other, but I don't know the characteristics of the Red crown, is it an aggressive or timid bird and will they harm each other. Maybe you can try under supervision and see how they react with each other. If they don't like each other you will have to buy another IRN and another Red crown if they are lonely. Hope that helps.

Thanks Missk, I guess I just have to be patient, but that is something that I can do when it comes to my birds. I'm being verrrry patient in taming Kiwi. I've got him a whole year now and still crawling at a snails pace.

Ash
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

Missk
quote from your first post, when you are told to place a photograph of the desired other species in close view of the cage. do *not* include any other birds; just your ringneck in the cage. wait for spontaneous generation of young;
This statement is demeaning and ridicules seagulbird's question.
fact: A photograph and a real bird can't mate, breed nor produce a spontaneous generation of young. even more so when you do not include any other birds; just your ringneck in the cage.
the meaning of ridicule verb to make fun of :to ridicule their strange way of speaking. in this case it was the question that was asked.
my post replies were not aim at any particular individual. yet you were the only that replied and tried to justify your first post.
I stand by my post and was not trying to stir up discontent. I was highlighting demeaning and ridiculing behaviour.
if you had said " the red-crowned, aka kakariki, has a conservation status of vulnerable in its native range and shouldn't be crossbred at all". then that's your opinion, not a judgment.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi All

I'm hoping I'm not putting words in anyone's mouths here... but I think some of the comedic lines on this thread are to do with a view that is held by many (but not all) in the breeding communities that bird breeds should not be cross-bred. I believe that in some countries it is illegal to cross-breed some birds. I met a breeder who told me she was given a bird that was a result of an illegal cross-breed of two Australian native species. She is permitted to keep it in her aviary and give it a good life but she is not permitted to breed from it. I think the reasons for this are to maintain " genetic integrity through sound captive breeding management" (Code of Practice Aviculture, Queensland, Australia - downloaded from http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/register/p00055aa.pdf).

From time to time there are also discussions on this board of people who think only the natural colour of ringnecks that is found in the wild (green) should be bred.

There are always going to be differences of opinions on a public internet forum and I am sorry if anyone has felt disrespected by this thread. I am going to lock this thread now as I don't think much can be gained from continuing it. seagulbird, if you have questions you would like to ask, please feel free to start a new thread.

Ellie.