Massive Storm

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

AlphaWolf

Massive Storm

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello everyone,
The time is 7:40pm GMT and a massive thunderstorm hit our area. And I mean massive. The intensity of the storm was so powerful and sounded like a bomb, two times an ambulance was called and all roads are blocked. The beginning of the Storm Season has begun :| .Do you aussies have something similar. Hope the storm calsm down, oh and water is flooding underneath the front door :( At least Aero isn't scared. :)
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Re: Massive Storm

Post by InTheAir »

We had a hail storm yesterday, the first one I've experienced since I came to aus. It was scarey! The hail stones were almost as big as golf balls where I was working (luckily my car was parked under cover!). My boyfriends car has a few dents in the roof now.
By the time I got home it was only a torrential downpour, which was scarey to drive through because I could hardly see the road in front of me. Nila had solved all his foraging puzzles, so he mustn't have been too traumatised.
He was pretty scared by a thunderstorm we had last week, Squidgette didn't seem to notice it.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Wow, both your storms sound very exciting!

AlphaWolf, where in the world are you?
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hi MissK and Claire,

You have must been really scared Claire.

I previously used to live in the UK, but we recently moved to Saudi Arabia due to my dad's work. We had a hail storm one, It wasn't very big. But man oh man, the wind made it so powerful and strong that it actually dented the metal door.

But the worst storm I have ever been in, was a massive sandstorm. It came out of nowhere and took a full day to go. We where about 3km away from our house in one of the most busiest place, when a sandstorm/duststorm hit. The massive mall was almost unbreakable and we had to drive with 1.5 metre visibility. The biggest problem was that you couldn't stop because a car could crash on you. I also remember that it was around 4:00 in the eavening when a sandstorm hit. The sky went from steely-grey to orange and then to black. And there where like 20-30 accidents.

I was wondering, maybe the storm was attracted to our house :!: :?: . Maybe the water in the swimming pool? Luckily the storm ended after 4 hours.

Aero didn't even flinch with the thunderstorm. He just sat there, perched on one leg and resting! My aeronaut has to live in Brazil, or maybe Australia

P.S. I love Australia so much for all my life, I'am planning to go there for holiday in the summer holidays. My close friend comes from Brisbane, so which area are super lovely ( :D I know they all are)?

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

I had to drive home through a huge storm with wind and rain, thunder and lightning, one night. Visibility was short, and only by the light of the lightning. Like with your storm, I couldn't stop for fear of someone crashing into me. At one point I had to pull off the road for a tree right in front of me. Fortunately, I got around it.

Since then I'm not scared anymore to drive in the rain, wind, thunder, and lightning at night. The storm was so devastating, people were without power well over a week, and crews had to come from other states to help us. Weather can be extreme! :D

We never had water coming in the front door, though...good thing.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

my bird has always seemed to enjoy storms.. i have a dog that can hear thunder a thousand miles away and cowers .. but the bird gets excited and goes to the window to watch..
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

That hailstorm hit us as well at the Gold Coast, though the hailstones weren't as big as they were for you InTheAir. It was the strangest thing. I never expected to see hail when I moved to Queensland.

One of the thunderstorms last week had a crack of thunder so loud it shook the whole house.

We have our lanterns out and ready for the inevitable black outs. Though we haven't had any since the recent lot of storms started, which is very out of character.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Kimma, I think the thunderstorm that shook your house visited the sunshine coast after that!
Nila is now not even batting an eye at loud thunderclaps, they seem to be a daily occurrence at the moment. My garden is very happy about the amount of rain we are getting.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

The storm that hit the other was so powerful it shook the full mall windows, and something near our house smashed and right after that the ambulance came :( . :shock: I really though that Aero will be scared but he actually shrugged it off, but the budgies where really scared. I though Australia gets a lot of rain :?: . Which plants do you grow which survives the summer heat.

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Alpha that sounds terrifying! We have another heavy thunderstorm now and both birds are fluffed up so much they look like fluffy balloons. They are napping though.

My garden is pretty neglected, I think there's only rocket, Kale, parsley, basil, chilli and some beetroot at the moment. My top crops this year have been caterpillars and tomatoes (self seeded). Nila tried a caterpillar, but spat it out quickly. I guess they don't taste as good as they look! The tomatoes were quite nice.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hi Claire,
:lol: Nila really makes me laugh! Another storm is coming and Aero is all fluffed up too, preening his feathers. I love it when he is relaxed like this. Just preening is a milestone for me, I hope you are safe with this new storm. I'am going to start some planting but I really have a black thumb, maybe with the greenness Aero brought I can grow something. :)

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nila seems to be a bit of a comedian, he makes us laugh all the time. He seems to like it.

I wish ringnecks ate cactus, because I'm really good at keeping them alive.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Or maybe dead dried grass. Then Aero will be the fattest birdie of them all.

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello everyone, a couple days ago a massive storm hit and flash floods killed 15 people. And then my router malfunctioned so I ha don wi-fi access for days :o . So finally got Internet back and I have tons to read :). Hope everyone is safe and sound.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

GOOD NIGHT!!!!

I'm glad you're OK!
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

There's a bit of a thunderstorm here at the moment. We were just driving home in it when a massive bolt of lightning came down so close to the car that it shook it! There was a simultaneous thunder clap and we both got such a fright!
The lorikeets that roost near the cafe we had been at were not having a good night, they were sounding most upset. Our guys are sound asleep in each others cages and we haven't heard a peep since we got home.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hope you have a safe time. Hope the Wild Oats XI don't lose their progress. :D

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Didn't they win already?
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

OMG, THEY DID. YAAAAAY, WOHOOOOO! What are they racing for anyway? :lol:

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I wouldn't have a clue... probably prestige and lots of money. ..
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

LOL! I meant what was the race about anyway, like what they got to do to win. :lol: I just read a header saying that they're where progressing. And I thought you where aussie :wink:

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nah, I'm a kiwi. I just live in Australia :wink:
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

InTheAir wrote:Nah, I'm a kiwi. I just live in Australia :wink:
Awww, now I got to find another aussi. God,I already hate those oats, IAM GOING TO BEAT THE...

AlphaWolf