2 ringnecks together

Moderator: Mods

phlem_21

2 ringnecks together

Post by phlem_21 »

Hi

I have a 1 year old male and was thinking of getting another ringneck but need to know a few things. Can they both share the same cage ? should I get a male or female ? are the likely to fight or clash for my attention ? and info would be much appreciated
SunniDai

Re: 2 ringnecks together

Post by SunniDai »

I had a one year old when we rescued our four year olds. They are out of their cages all the time, and they are flighted, so if things get to intense between them, which sometimes they do, they are able to fly away from the situation. They all share the same cage during the day, but like I said, they are not in it all the time. I've never seen all three in it at the same time. They would probably argue. They all have their own night cage, so arguing at night isn't an issue, either.
Females are more territorial from what I've learned. Males are more easy going.
It is going to depend upon what you have (male or female) and what you get (male or female). Even clutch mates end up arguing, so in my personal opinion, it is best for everyone to have their own sleeping cage. Territorial issues solved.
Hope this helps.
Dana
~Dana

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

The usual drill with getting a new bird is to start by isolating them - so you have two separate cages. I think the quarantine period is usually a month. Then you gradually move their cages closer and closer together. Then you offer out of cage play time together whilst under close supervision until you are happy that they are getting along. Then you can try putting them in the same cage. Ideally you put them in a completely new cage together but if that is not possible, you redecorate the existing cage to try to make it look as different as possible and heavily supervise the introduction.

We started with 1 female and when she was about 1.5 years old we got a male. One day whilst they were playing outside he climbed into her cage... so we decided to move forward the cohabitating date to the following weekend (when I was home and could keep a good eye on them). For our guys, they've been cohabitating ever since. I think that our male was in a significantly smaller cage may have had some influence over him wanting to live in the other cage.

If you have a male you can get a male or female. If I were in your situation, I would get a male as usually two males will get along and you don't have all the issues associated with nesting behaviour in the breeding season. Because we had a female first, I was told we had to get a male.

Also note that there is no guarantee that your birds will get along... you may need to keep them separately caged if they don't.

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I have a mostly male flock, and I could never keep them caged at night together. During the day when they are out they play fine, but even the males can get territorial over playthings. My one female was paired off with a male a little over a month ago and they are doing just fine, but I had to keep constant watch on them like Ellie said. Individual personality of the bird is a key factor. I have three males all the same age and they're fine until they're caged together. Then their true nature comes out. Even after 3 months they will bicker over a toy in a cage. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Donovan

Post by Donovan »

good thing about forums... your questions are usually already answered if you just look around... in this case it was right on the "view new posts" link.. (convenient)

I am considering getting a companion for my male.. at first i thought i'd get a female and attempt breeding but that sounds too much like work.. plus who's to say the birds would sell or get a proper home? I think birds getting proper homes is probably rare.

One bird is a huge amount of work and dedication to keep him stimulated and happy while trying to have plenty of Me time too. It seems to work. I suspect two birds would be double the work unless i made no effort to bond with the new bird and just used it as a babysitter for my current bird.

I've been told I should get another bird.... but i just don't know.. i'm not completely sold on the idea.

I have a question though.. is it possible to test drive a bird?.. ya know.. bring it home for a month or something and if it proves to be a disaster.. return it
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I recently got a 12 week old hen as a friend for our 15 month old cock. She doesn't like him at all! I think we introduced them to fast, which didn't help! Maybe another cock would have fitted in better, but we are stuck with the horrid little girl now... I've invested too much time in earning her trust to consider giving her up.

Donovan, the problem with that idea is the standard quarantine period is a month before you should introduce them.
We only waited 2 weeks after the health check cos we are bad parronts. We know the breeder through the bird club here and have visited his aviaries numerous times, so we were pretty confident she was not carrying anything.
If your birds did get on, i think giving them attention together is very achievable, Ellie trains both of hers to do tricks and stuff.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Mine have become a bonded pair. My Charlie can't do anything unless Janey tells him to do it! Training 2 birds together is hard work, but I can't bear having one in the cage when the other is out and Charlie gets rather lost when Janey's not out with him. However, I did introduce them very slowly as I outlined earlier.

If you already have a male, I'd be inclined to get another male if you're after a companion as there are unlikely to be many nesting problems. I've had these problems two years running now and they're not fun. Nesting mode lasted 3 months this year and was quite traumatic (definitely for me and probably also for the birds).

I used to believe that birds should have at least one other birdie friend... but I don't know what I think about that any more. I think the most important thing is that your bird be loved and treated kindly and have lots of mental stimulation. I do believe it is nice (but not necessary) for them to have a companion as it helps them know that they are a bird (and not human).

Ellie.