weight

Moderator: Mods

kanundra

weight

Post by kanundra »

Hello everyone.

I've tried the search function and discovered some differences in things so I'd just really like to get a sense of weight from you all.

I've had Bobby 6mths now, Male, blue ringneck, just getting his ring in. When we first got him and took him to the vets because he bent his blood feathers the vet weighed him in at 80g. He did say that it wasn't a problem because we'd just gotten him off a really bad diet and onto lots of veg fruit etc, but I'm looking for average weights now.

I have been working really hard with him these last few weeks I've a broken elbow, and plenty of time, so we've worked on stepping up to my scales.

Today he weighed in at 138g

I'm shocked, I know he never stops eating but the difference is a lot. I've seen various weights on here now, and I'm kinda looking to see what he actually should be?

Now that I have gotten him past the scared stage of getting on the scales. I'd like to weigh him regular, to see how he's doing.

Any thoughts, experiences, when where, what to look for?

Thanks so much, and sorry if this really is repeated all the time.

Dawn
InTheAir

Re: weight

Post by InTheAir »

Hi Dawn,
I have very limited knowledge about this. The average weight is about 120gs.
Bobby has certainly made a pretty dramatic weight gain.
I believe the best way to tell whether the weight is right on a bird is to feel his keelbone, it shouldn't feel padded (if that makes sense). If you can't tell, it might be worth talking to your vet about it.
Does Bobby get much exercise?
When Nilas weight goes up we just get him to fly more by doing recalls or racing him. His weight only ever fluctuates by a couple grams though.

Regards,
Claire
Skyes_crew

Re: weight

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi dawn, the average weight for any species is just that...an average. It's just a guideline. What you want to look at is an overall trend for your bird. Claire is correct about looking at the keel bone. The bone that runs down the center of the birds chest. You should be able to feel the bone easily without it feeling too sharp and pointed or too padded and thick on either side. Forget about the first number at this point and use the 138g. Now weigh your bird once a week and look for any large fluctuations. A gram or two is no big deal. I have ringnecks that look similar size to each other but weigh totally different on the scale, so looks can be deceiving. Also remember that birds can pick up and drop weight quickly so you don't want to ever put your bird on a "diet" without consent from your vet first :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D