H/R baby refusing to take formula. Please help.

Moderator: Mods

Tabaneske

H/R baby refusing to take formula. Please help.

Post by Tabaneske »

I have been H/R a behind in development IRN baby, and he hasn't even broken his pin feathers yet, when really he should have by now. I am feeding him via a spoon with Wombaroo hand raising formula. The last couple of feeds, he is refusing to take the spoon. He turns his head away when I come near him with it. I have to practically dribble it down the side of his beak so it goes into his mouth so he can feed. Otherwise he is just all over the place, moving away from me, then want to sit in my hand and not feed.

I am feeling very angry and frustrated with him right now, and I am at my wits end.

Can someone please tell me why he is doing this?

Cheers.
sheyd

Re: H/R baby refusing to take formula. Please help.

Post by sheyd »

this is typically the age where they'll start to refuse...keep at it and start introducing new foods- mine loved (and still do) millet, peas, corn and sprouted budgie seed at around this age.

--when you say that he hasn't broken any pins, do you mean that no feather has popped, or that he has no pins? do you have a pic?
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

He has only small pins poking through his wings, no where else and they haven't opened to show feather colour yet. If you look on my other thread you will see a recent photo of Buddha. The last lot of pictures. He is the less feathered one. I would post a picture here, but I'm not home and I'm on my phone.

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 0&start=50
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

ok- 25 days old in that one posted on Nov 1? is a bit behind- Parent raised chicks (assuming parents are feeding properly) seem to always do better (read faster in development) than those that are handraised.

here are mine at the same age- the two smallest weren't getting enough, and had to be pulled unfortunately- they're 11 weeks tomorrow ,and while still smaller than their nest sibling are catching up- they are bigger than my small adult IRN pet cock who at the time was the same size as them when they were about 9 weeks old.

Last edited by sheyd on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hey tabaneske...I know it's frustrating, but just breathe. You can get through this. It's your hormones talking lol. If you have access to a syringe try to feed that way for a few days. See if switching up the delivery method helps. Also, sometimes if the formula is not the right temp a baby will refuse it. Addressing the feathering issue...the most common cause of delayed feathering in birds is incorrect brooding temp. What temp and setup have you been keeping the baby in?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Yeah I know he is a fair bit behind. It makes me feel so useless that he isn't growing quick enough.

I know it's just the hormones, but it makes me so upset. I know I have to be patient.

I have the broader at about 34 - 35 degrees.

It seems like his brain development is further than his body, Lol.

He moves around pretty well, better than his nest box sibling.

Thanks for your support so far guys. :)