Vitamin A Info

Moderator: Mods

sbayzden

Vitamin A Info

Post by sbayzden »

There is so much information on the web pertaining to different species nutritional needs. I have been trying to find detailed info about the IRN's dietary needs. Is there any specific dietary information that is pretty detailed?
I have a few questions about vitamin A foods. When feeding butternut squash or acorn squash, do you steam/cook it until just tender or do you feed raw?
My birds seem to be quite fussy about all their food, I do not think that the people that I purchased them from fed a variety of foods, but a few select items. I feed a very big variety of veggies, legumes, grains, and greens. I also offer seed & pellet freely. But they prefer only certain items.
I have read to finely chop my foods so that they cannot pick through the foods, but must consume all of it, but I processed a very small amount and it was so wet and watery, I wouldn't want to eat that, so I knew that they
were not going to enjoy it, but rather sling it. Do you offer small pieces or larger pieces or do you process your food stuff? I am hoping that you all may help me a bit.
Thank you so much!!
Skyes_crew

Re: Vitamin A Info

Post by Skyes_crew »

It depends on my birds personality for me. Most of my birds like their foods diced. They're lazy lol. A couple like larger chunks they can hold and tear off pieces. I tried making those chopped recipes...my birds turned their noses up at me like, I'm not eating that watery slimy concoction. The rice is supposed to absorb a lot of the water, but it doesn't really. I make mine fresh everyday for too many birds to list :wink: as for vitamin A, I skip the squash. Tastes like dirt...yuck :D I feed them cantaloupe instead. They love it. But if you do feed the squash, steam until its just fork tender, not mushy. Hope that helps :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

I've presented a variety of foods to Rocky in a variety of manners. It happens that he's not a fan of wet, so anything too juicy is left alone. I did get him to eat food-chopper minced veggies, but only when I mixed them with ground grains. Too much bother, didn't keep it up. Diced mostly affords him the chance to pick stuff out and lose all the non-faves under the grate, unless the bits come straight from my hand. (Spoiled, much? I don't mind!) He will munch on hunks of stuff that are about the size of his head, though he much prefers them on a skewer or on the floor. Doesn't want them in bowls, and shies away from novel foods that big. He doesn't want a very full skewer, either, maybe it's intimidating? He will also eat stuff wedged in the bars. He prefers his green leaves to be hung, and, oddly enough, in whole pieces. If I cut or shred the leaf he doesn't want it. And, as always, he likes everything better if somebody else is having some, too.
-MissK
sbayzden

Post by sbayzden »

Thanks so much for the bit of info!! It is such a treat to see the birds enjoy what they are eating. My husband says I have spoiled my birds, but I do not mind it. I have them here to enjoy and enrich my life, so I feel it is up to me to give them a home that will take care of them.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I sometimes...well ok most of the time...put more effort into my birds meals than my husbands meals :mrgreen:

MissK

Post by MissK »

Your husband is free and capable enough to forage for himself. The birds not so much.........
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I used that argument...I got a dirty look :?

MissK

Post by MissK »

It's cuz the truth hurts. :twisted:
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

:twisted: Hey, hey HEY! We need to eat too! Why dont YOU forage and we do the eating. :evil:
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

This could get ugly lol...

AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Real ugly... :twisted:

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Isn't that what I'm doing 48 hours a week?!! Wait, forgot the drive time.......
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Uh oh...you poked it Alpha. I warned you :mrgreen:

AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hah, and don't we work our heart's content for your pleasure and money and not get to eat. You should the ones who forage and bring the food back to us! That is they way life intended to be!!!

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

AlphaWolf, I had no idea it made your heart content to work for my pleasure! Let me forward my Christmas Wish List! :lol:
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Score one MissK :lol:

MissK

Post by MissK »

(There might be a white Budgie on it......)

JUST so I can pretend to be on the topic here, Who can tell me the best sources of Vitamin A? :wink:
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Orange veggies

Cantaloupe

Ummmmm....anyone else???

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

MissK wrote:(There might be a white Budgie on it......)

JUST so I can pretend to be on the topic here, Who can tell me the best sources of Vitamin A? :wink:

I'm going to remember that Christmas wish :wink:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Skyes_crew wrote:
MissK wrote:(There might be a white Budgie on it......)

I'm going to remember that Christmas wish :wink:
Carrots, but not with a white budgie on top :mrgreen:
MissK

Post by MissK »

What do you think about the yellow, orange, and red Bell peppers? Red is the fave in our house. Carrots are remarkably unpopular. Grumble. Some of us like yam, papaya, mango, but most of us don't. The human is overly picky about cantaloupe, so it doesn't happen.

Can we get Vitamin A from non-orange stuff?
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Carrot gets inhaled around here!

Non-orange foods include spinach, beat greens, Collard, dandelion greens, Chinese cabbage, kale.

This link has a nice digestible chart down the bottom http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/vitamina.htm
I'm not totally up to speed on nutrition but that chart seems consistent with what little I have read and retained elsewhere.
I can't imagine feeding liver (or even eating it myself) though!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Ho, Ho, Ho; now I'm a liar!

I used the carrot peeler to shred some carrot. I presented it in the new "flock feeding station" bowls -- the bowls in the Ringneck and Budgie cages that are physically closest to each other. It's a matter of about 4 inches. Riff Raff is my boldest eater and she led the flock. I think Rocky actually ate some!

Of course, now she's moved on and is tossing soggy pellets out for the dog while Rocky hangs on his wall making wings at her and Dr. Scott has a conversation with the water bowl.............. And there's the bath in the water bowl. Birds!

What is the other reason I'm feeding them kale? I'm really having a not-with-it kind of week. I think I brainwashed myself on too much TV.
Last edited by MissK on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lol missk. As soon as I wrote that post I gave Nila some carrot, which he promptly dropped on the floor! luckily it was just because I had cut it too big, when I cut a piece correctly he demolished it like he was starving.

I would think you are feeding kale because it tastes horrible, therfore must be healthy!
MissK

Post by MissK »

OK, so I confess when the kale gets wilty in the fridge I cook it for myself and buy fresh, crisp kale for the birds.....................
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Mmmm wilty kale... I put it in the compost bin.
I don't think I've actually tried cooked kale. I will have to give it a go.