Mutation type

Moderator: Mods

Lidred1

Mutation type

Post by Lidred1 »

Hi,
Could anyone tell me what kind of mutation this would be called?
I was told when i bought her that she was a lacewing, but she has turned more yellow since i bought her.

Im also breeding her with a wild type green. I don't no what colour the parents were but if possible does anyone know what colour chicks they could have?

When i first got her...
IMG_0166.JPG
Months later- Recently...
IMG_0294.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG (89.57 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG (88.88 KiB) Viewed 2526 times

Thanks guys :)
Lidred1
Ring0Neck

Re: Mutation type

Post by Ring0Neck »

She is a turquoise blue lacewing
Lacewing is he old name for Pallid

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Ring0Neck wrote:She is a turquoise blue lacewing
Lacewing is he old name for Pallid

agreed
Lidred1

Post by Lidred1 »

Thanks Guys!!

So lacewing means pallid?

Also where is the turquoise coming from? is that from her rump? i only ask because she is mainly yellow and it seems weird to call her turquoise :P

Thanks again though!
Lidred1
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

Also called a rainbow
trabots

Post by trabots »

Lindred, Pallid is the name of a mutation, as are Turquoise and Blue. The names often bear no relationship to what you see, as when combined with other mutations the original colour is altered, sometimes significantly. 'Lacewing' and 'rainbow' are names thought up by sellers wanting a saleable name (rainbow) or the uninformed (lacewiing). If you are serious about learning the correct names for mutations and how they inherit and interact with each other, you need to buy Terry Martins "A Guide to Colour Mutations and Genetics in Parrots" from www.birdkeeper.com.au. It starts very simple and has great images.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Lidred..I too was very confused by that when I started learning about the mutations. I still have a long way to go lol. But I've learned a lot from that book and from reading through the threads here. Well, the threads that don't take a nosedive into technical terms lol. It has helped me choose new birds for breeding, and what to look for, and how to figure out results. Also here is a link to a gen calc to help you predict results between a pairing. http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0PsitIR

Good Luck :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Lidred1

Post by Lidred1 »

Yeh its very confusing when there different names for the same thing :p
Or abreviations! Haha
And thanks i will have a look :D

I have another question too if you could help :)
Im hopefully going to breed her and want to hand rear just one of the chicks as a pet for my bf... How should i go about taking the chick from the nest? I will definetly wait till 3 weeks, but as the male and female are both hand tamed and live in my lounge room im not sure how to take the chick and where to keep it after if i should let the chick and voce versa hear eachother?
What do you think?

I also have a ton of info on hand feeding times and amounts and have all that research :)
Lidred1
Terje

Post by Terje »

Do their color intesnsify as they mature? I have a pair, where the female (10 months) is much paler than the male (almost 2). Her flight feathers and tail are also white, while he has grey flights & a turqouise tail.