Emerald still a mystery

Moderator: Mods

Johan S

Re: Emerald still a mystery

Post by Johan S »

Certainly looks as if there is some turquoise and emerald harlequins in that mix.

The last pic certainly is a curveball. I would say it looks like the laziest boerboel on earth, trying to hide behind an obviously too small shrub! :shock:
Farzz1

Post by Farzz1 »

Hi
First you twist it, then you lick it, then you dunk it and you eat it Orio!!! :lol: No doubt that is an Orio in the last picture and some lemon grass and a boerbull (mollusus) in the background, but you got me there defiantly a priceless moment and grand kiddo .No mutation we have or breed would be worth that in any life time!! 8)

Mollusus no more pictures and communication until you assists with the proper identification of the birds, you have been place on temporary quarantine until further notice :mrgreen:

Regards F
Sanzaf1

Post by Sanzaf1 »

Congrats uncle lee :o

i like that basket on the floor :lol: .....put all thoes birds in the basket and come and drop it of at my house :mrgreen:

and you can bring that lytie 1 time n leave him wid me

i think farzz is ryt we need proper identification

take care
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Molossus,

We would probably be surprised too if we only knew thier parentage :? pm or post.
third chick (L2R) is probably what makes your head spin or the non pied 1?
the flight feathers are they brown? on the turq-?emerald? harlequin ...?

Congrats :!: they look amazing.

Last pic; moments like these ... :lol: cute little fella`
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
madas

Post by madas »

Hi Lee,

please can you send me the pic in full resolution?

thx.

madas
trabots

Post by trabots »

This is my guess. Unless I have erred this is the outcome for a Violet TurquoiseBlue x EmeraldBlue Pied and the young shown can all be found on this list. The outcome percentages obviously haven't been met by this single clutch but nothing unusual about that. 3 EmeraldBlue Pieds, 1 Violet Blue, 1 Violet EmeraldTurquoise

6.25% Violet BlueTurquoiseBlue
6.25% Blue
6.25% Violet EmeraldBlue
6.25% EmeraldBlue
6.25% Violet EmeraldTurquoise
6.25% EmeraldTurquoise
6.25% Violet TurquoiseBlue
6.25% TurquoiseBlue
6.25% Violet Blue Pied
6.25% Blue Pied
6.25% Violet EmeraldBlue Pied
6.25% EmeraldBlue Pied
6.25% Violet EmeraldTurquoise Pied
6.25% EmeraldTurquoise Pied
6.25% Violet TurquoiseBlue Pied
6.25% TurquoiseBlue Pied
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Well done Mr T

It is a pretty picture of some stunning mutation combinations. I agree with Willy but my only concern is the mixing of emerald and turq in dominant pied. Can some please post a pic of an emerald turq dom pied for comparison with emerald blue dom pied (if not an allele of blue and turq)

Tienie
trabots

Post by trabots »

Tienie, on having another look, one Pied has a yellow face compared to the green face of the Pied to its left. Either that is an EmeraldTurquoise Pied or the other one is. My guess is the former, as like a df Parblue there should be more psitticins in the heteroallele, EmeraldTurquoise than the EmeraldBlue. The remaining Pied looks to be like the green faced one.

I can't see the benefit in breeding EmeraldTurquoise or EmeraldIndigo unless we find that Emerald is dominant then we know it is non-allelic and independent of the other Parblues and Blue.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

trabots wrote:Tienie, on having another look, one Pied has a yellow face compared to the green face of the Pied to its left. Either that is an EmeraldTurquoise Pied or the other one is. My guess is the former, as like a df Parblue there should be more psitticins in the heteroallele, EmeraldTurquoise than the EmeraldBlue. The remaining Pied looks to be like the green faced one.

I can't see the benefit in breeding EmeraldTurquoise or EmeraldIndigo unless we find that Emerald is dominant then we know it is non-allelic and independent of the other Parblues and Blue.
Hi Willy, I was pointing out that you should look at the heads, but you posted just before me and the forum advised I should revise my post. :lol:

I believe that is a bird carrying both emerald and turquoise, and I think it is a very interesting bird. Lee asked the forum why he would do it, and you mention the ability to test (non?)-allelic relationship. I agree with that statement, as I'm sure the intention will be to pair the bird back to homozygous blue. However, further to this, the bird will prove whether turquoise masks emerald, or not. Something that needs to be investigated as well, esp. when matured and under UV.
trabots

Post by trabots »

That would do it, EmeraldTurquoise Pied x Blue. We know the difference between EmeraldBlue and TurquoiseBlue whether Pied or not. I sure wish someone could do this earlier however. Chris and the other breeders I contacted who I knew had EmeraldTurquoise birds, just didn't grasp the importance of pairing that bird with a Blue.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

trabots wrote:just didn't grasp the importance of pairing that bird with a Blue.
Yes, some guys just are like that. In such a case, I always try and sell the idea by also trying to get them to "go forward", so something like blue CT, blue CHF, blue opaline, blue something else, etc. :) Of course, this would work perfectly fine with a violet bird as well. But I hear you, your point is certainly a reality we have to deal with.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

The non pied chick should look like this turq-emerald on the perch. and IMO nothing will mask emerald :D
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know