OOOOOOOOOOO k! I'm worrying a bit....and I don't want too!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

pattiB

OOOOOOOOOOO k! I'm worrying a bit....and I don't want too!

Post by pattiB »

I'm really REALLY doing lots of research and well, everything I can to ready myself and my family for having our Gracie. I'm reading posts on females and am starting to freak a little bit. Someone calm me down. :D I want her to be a happy and healthy as can be. Please settle my mind that no matter what she goes thru, all will be well.... Did I make a mistake getting a female? WE LOVE HER so much! She amazing right now! Even though she is not willingly stepping up on our hands, she walks up to us, takes food and treats from us, is not scared of me or hubby at all. She VERY inquisitive! VERY! She LOVES being talked to. She's doing so well.
Please show me some posts and give me some heads up as to what we will need to be doing to make her life awesome. I'm reading about hormones and nesting and and and ..... I knew these things before, but I'm kinda getting "stage fright"....Thanks!
Skyes_crew

Re: OOOOOOOOOOO k! I'm worrying a bit....and I don't want to

Post by Skyes_crew »

Calm down lol. Just breathe...yes females get hormonal during breeding season. How much depends on the female. There are certain rules you should abide by so as not to form a pair bond with your female. This will keep her more rational to deal with during breeding season. Pet her only on the head, never on her back. Try not to let just one person do everything for Gracie. Split up the cage cleaning, feeding, training. It will keep her more social and less likely to think she's a mate to one of you. During actual breeding season you will need to keep an eye on her for signs of looking for nesting spots and discourage those behaviors. Females actually make very good pets. They are very affectionate and don't tell my males...but they are way smarter :wink: I have always had an all male flock. I never wanted females. I accidentally wound up with a female IRN. I love her to death. She drives me insane lol, but I wouldn't trade her for the world.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm probably one of the people you've heard the horror stories from... I have one female and one male. I love them both. I also work with some other Asiatic parrots on a regular basis and it does seem that as far as trick-learning smarts goes, the females tend to be smarter (although there are always exceptions!).

I guess the main advice I'd give is, I think I went a little bit too far with the no patting on the back thing... and as a result, I never got my bird used to me touching her wings or letting me put my hand across her back to pick her up. I think if I had trained those behaviours earlier, life could be a little easier for me during the breeding season.

Not all females birds will have the same level of drive over breeding. You'll just have to wait and see how your Gracie fares. The advice Melissa gave about discouraging a pair-bond is good. Also, giving your bird a good diet that's not too rich in sugars and fats helps.

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

ellieelectrons wrote:I'm probably one of the people you've heard the horror stories from... I have one female and one male. I love them both. I also work with some other Asiatic parrots on a regular basis and it does seem that as far as trick-learning smarts goes, the females tend to be smarter (although there are always exceptions!).

Yes we have a resident male genius in the forum :D

I guess the main advice I'd give is, I think I went a little bit too far with the no patting on the back thing... and as a result, I never got my bird used to me touching her wings or letting me put my hand across her back to pick her up. I think if I had trained those behaviours earlier, life could be a little easier for me during the breeding season.

I probably should have expanded on this. There is a definite difference between touching her back and patting or petting her back. You definitely want to train her to accept to be touched and handled in ways that make things easier like nail trimming, wing clipping if that is your intention, or accepting a harness if remaining flighted, and being handled by a vet. Just spend a few minutes a day touching and playing with the top and underside of her wings, her tail, her feet and her belly. Earn her trust that you will not harm her.

Not all females birds will have the same level of drive over breeding. You'll just have to wait and see how your Gracie fares. The advice Melissa gave about discouraging a pair-bond is good. Also, giving your bird a good diet that's not too rich in sugars and fats helps.

The diet is an important factor. But I was way off kilter on this one. I withheld too many fats, so please consult your vet for proper levels of nutrition and advice :D
Ellie.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

pattiB

Post by pattiB »

Thank you guys! Much appreciated.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Ok, ours is a boy, but he is clever enough to be a girl!
We trained Nila to be grabbed, held and wear his harness without ever patting his tummy. We keep it as a training exercise. His motivator is food. He only likes a scratch on the head occasionally so we leave it at that. We are a little bit over cautious about trying not to give him any pair bond signals.
komodo

Post by komodo »

every bird is an individual. what you have read is most likely a generalization of female behaviour. that doesn't make it true.