My first breeding season 2013

Moderator: Mods

Skyes_crew

Re: My first breeding season 2013

Post by Skyes_crew »

It's ok to be afraid...but you will be just fine. What hand feeding formula have you gotten? I think you made a good choice in pulling him. He is very tiny in comparison and obviously in need of a little TLC. Keep a close eye on the remaining chick to make sure mom doesn't reject it. Make sure the crop looks full at different points during the day. If you start to notice her out of the box more and the baby pushed to the side in the nest, you'll probably have to pull that one too. Do not remove that un hatched egg though. Leave that under her.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Alright, thank you so much for your support so far.

I have just given bubby it's first feeding, and it took the spoon very well. It's crop actually looks full now. What you see in the photo is what it usually looks like when mummy was feeding it. I am going to check on bubby in nest in a few mins, to make sure he is alright. It had a full crop when I pulled the other one, so I should know if anything is wrong.

Fingers crossed everything goes fine. I have ordered an on/off thermostat and and heat mat. Right now I just have the desk lamp with a red globe. I am continuously checking the temperature to make sure it doesn't get too hot. Once I get the thermostat I can relax a little because then it will be monitored better and I won't worry so much. I probably won't sleep much in the next week or so.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Oh the joys of motherhood lol. It's all worth it in the end though :D hopefully molossus is around here somewhere and will chime in with some more advice for you. Ill see if I can find him.

Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Yes, this will distract me from the trouble I am having of falling pregnant myself. It's good to have a little bubby to look after.

Can't wait for some more advice.

I will take another picture with a fuller crop on the next feed.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Tabaneske wrote:Yes, this will distract me from the trouble I am having of falling pregnant myself. It's good to have a little bubby to look after.

Can't wait for some more advice.

I will take another picture with a fuller crop on the next feed.
Congrats on your pregnancy :D

And thank you molossus :mrgreen:

Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

I may have worded it a little wrong, but I am not pregnant yet, but I have been trying for 20 months and still haven't got anywhere. :)
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Bubby doing okay. He keeps getting air bubbles because he doesn't open his mouth properly when I feed him. But I think we will both get the hang of it.

I have been feeding 4 hourly, but I reckon he wants feeds earlier than that.

Should I feed him more often, or just leave it at 4 hourly?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm sorry I misunderstood :( when we least expect it, when our attention is elsewhere, a gift is granted. Have faith.

As for the little one, make sure not to feed too often as the crop has to empty completely between feeds. Try to keep it to 2hr intervals. They cry for other things besides food. Sometimes they crave warmth or security. If you have the time, place the baby directly against the skin on your stomach or under your chin. The warmth and closeness should quell his crying for a bit :D

Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

A little update for you guys who are following.

Baby is doing well, and my partner has named it Buddha. I have increased the thickness of the formula, but not as thick as the box recommends, as I think he is still a little too small for that thickness. He seems to be taking it easier and it doesn't empty out of his crop so quickly. I think I am doing 2 and a half hour feeds. Because whenever I check him before the time I had planned to feed him, his crop was empty. So I check every 2 hours to see how he is going. I want to feed him every 4 hours, but that isn't going to happen, lol.

Here is a photo of Buddha having a snuggle after a feed. His crop is a little over full though, which is my fault. I wanted to keep an eye on him since I had accidentally over filled it and he brought up a bit of it. So I had to make sure he wasn't going to choke on it. I felt so bad. :( I am hoping he will be alright, he seemed okay and still chirping 10mins after, so I don't think I drowned him. o.O He is 12 days old now.
Buddha at 12 days old.
Buddha at 12 days old.
buddha 12 days.jpg (40.22 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
Update on the bubby in the box.
He is still kicking strong, trying to beat the heat that is plaguing us right now. He is still twice the size of Buddha and his eyes are just starting to open, so now it has tiny little holes for eyes. He looks so cute and prehistoric. He never seems as full in the crop any more, so I don't know whether with the other baby in there, mummy was just feeding whoever pushed in first even though it may not have been the one asking for a feed. But he seems well fed still, which is good.

When do they start to get their pin feathers? I am not used to seeing such naked little birds. I was always used to the baby finches and baby cockatiels, with all their fuzz.

Oh and mentioning finches, I also have 5 baby finches in one nest and an egg in another. They incubate so quickly! I have only had the finches for just over a month. They are the rabbits of the bird world!
Liefie

Post by Liefie »

My first two baby's hatched today, any food i must give mamma to feed them?
Liefie

Post by Liefie »

Morning

how do i get my female out of the nest to clean the nest and to check on the baby's? chicks are 2 days old today
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Grats on your two babies!

I don't know how to move mummy, I can't move mine, lol.
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Update.

Chick in nesting box has broken a few pin feathers and looks like he is going to be blue. He has a good strong grip with his feet.

Buddha, my little guy inside has started to get the grey under the skin on his wings to show his pin feathers are coming. He has tiny grey dots on his bottom showing the pins are coming slowly. When I feed him he does not keep still at all. It's so frustrating to feed a bird that wants to wander all over the bench instead. He is also big enough to grab the top of his container which then makes him make the feeding noise. Which is annoying when he does it during the night while I am trying to sleep, as I can hear him in the other room. He still is only half the size of his brother.

I will take photos later. I have been a little preoccupied lately with morning sickness and tiredness. :wink: so Skyes_crew I may have spoken too soon about not being pregnant! and your congratulations were in order. :) I am only a couple of weeks, so I am hoping baby will stick. :) my first pregnancy ever.
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Here are the photos. :)

These two have flash of the baby in nesting box.
boxside.jpg
boxside.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
boxback.jpg
These ones are of baby in nesting box without flash.
boxsidenf.jpg
boxsidenf.jpg (44.15 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
boxtopnf.jpg
Here is Buddha, my little inside bird. He is a day younger than his brother in the box. He is still so tiny.
buddhaside.jpg
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I think you were so focused taking care of the chicks that you forgot to worry about yourself. Congrats are definitely in order. Stick baby stick!!! Sending lots of baby dust your way. :D

Little Buddha is too cute. He may be the underdog now...but I think he'll come out on top with you taking care of him. He's already come a long way. :)

Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Thank you so much! I think you are right. I got my sleeping pattern to normal having to care for Buddha, so changing my lifestyle for the better may have helped too.

I am so fascinated at the difference between the chicks. But I'm glad they are happy and healthy.

I actually caught daddy in the nest feeding baby. I thought it was cute.