parrotlets A.K.A. Pocket parrots ?

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Dixie-1

parrotlets A.K.A. Pocket parrots ?

Post by Dixie-1 »

We have an opportunity to purchase a Breeding Pair of these little fella's and are wondering if anyone has any first hand experience or knowledge of this breed ?

Last edited by Dixie-1 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just takin a break !

MissK

Re: parrotlets A.K.A. Pocket parrots ?

Post by MissK »

I do not have any first hand experience with either of these birds. However, I can tell you that you have pictured two very different species.

There are a couple of questions I'd like you to consider - no need to answer to me; I just want to provoke some introspection on your end. How would you expect to benefit by keeping a breeding pair of either of these species? How would they benefit from coming with you? Do you know anything about the needs of those species, or breeding birds in general? Do you know reasonably enough to embark on breeding? Do you know (and this is a toughie) how much you do not know? Are you prepared to deal with the birds for the next 20 years or so? Are you prepared to tame the babies before you sell them, so you can do your part to ensure they are treated as loved pets, and not just ignored due to wildness? There are other questions, but hopefully you get the gist.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Top pic looks like a lorikeet to me.
I agree with missk, it's something to think long and hard about.
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

MissK wrote:I do not have any first hand experience with either of these birds. However, I can tell you that you have pictured two very different species.

There are a couple of questions I'd like you to consider - no need to answer to me; I just want to provoke some introspection on your end. How would you expect to benefit by keeping a breeding pair of either of these species? How would they benefit from coming with you? Do you know anything about the needs of those species, or breeding birds in general? Do you know reasonably enough to embark on breeding? Do you know (and this is a toughie) how much you do not know? Are you prepared to deal with the birds for the next 20 years or so? Are you prepared to tame the babies before you sell them, so you can do your part to ensure they are treated as loved pets, and not just ignored due to wildness? There are other questions, but hopefully you get the gist.
ha ha First off you need to tell "Bing Images" about the error they made since that is where I got the pictures.

as to the rest of the introspection I feel anytime anyone makes an effort to rescue an unwanted pet they are improving that animals life even if it is just making them feel wanted. For what I know, I am an able reader and am sure I could find and read any knowledge I lack maybe even find another great website like this one pertaining to Parrotlets. Plus believe it or not we managed to raise four happy children to adulthood without even the benefit of a handbook ! Thanks for your reply.
Just takin a break !

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Ahhhh....but you didn't say rescue an unwanted pet. You said purchase a breeding pair. That would have surely changed some of the answers. MissK was just asking what your long term goals were from purchasing a breeding pair. I thought her answer was reasonable. With the new information, a rescue is a rescue. Of course you should rescue any animal in need if you are able to provide a level of care above their previous situation. But why did you ask for an opinion, then get annoyed by said opinion, if you could have, in your words, " find and read any knowledge you lack" ?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Skyes_crew wrote:But why did you ask for an opinion, then get annoyed by said opinion, if you could have, in your words, " find and read any knowledge you lack" ?
WOW :!: I sure made a mistake with this post. I think if you would take time to reread my original post I asked for "any first hand experience or knowledge of the breed" but hey feel free to argue symantics here, its as good a place as any ! LOL

This will be my last comment on this post since I am not getting any knowledge, but will apparently be deluged by un asked for opinions and support for same. Sorry if I have offended anyone with this. I am just a "newby" who will try to do better from now on.
Just takin a break !

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Settle down, children. :wink:

Dixie, remember this is an international forum and no one knows anything about you personally or if you are competent with birds, so advice tends to err on the side of caution at the best of times. Ummm the lori pic kindda contributed too :mrgreen: preview post is my favourite button here!
No point in getting upset over advice offered... Just reflect on the useful stuff... and take the rest as a comment. .. unless it's dumb advice that would be cruel to the bird (which you won't get from skye or missk anyway).

We just like to encourage people to think about the choices they make in regards to pets and try to help people do the best in the interest of their birds.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi All

I'm going to lock this thread so no further posts will be able to be made to it.

Dixie, can I suggest you post in the breeding forum so that those who have experience breeding birds will be more likely to see it. It doesn't matter that it's not about IRNs.

I am partial to the parrotlet myself but from what my research tells me they don't have any in Australia :) I follow Bowie the IRN on youtube and on facebook and Bowie has a couple of parrotlets living in his household. Contacting the owner of that youtube channel could help you (see http://www.youtube.com/user/jxh0703)

Reading the posts, I don't think anyone meant to be offensive. Sometimes writing things on-line can come across more harshly than intended because you don't get the same emotional cues that we provide whilst speaking.

I suspect a point that was trying to be made regarding breeding birds for Pet or Breeding trade is to think about what will become of the babies. I know a number of bird lovers and companion parrot owners who try to discourage breeding birds in captivity because of the number of birds that never find good homes. I think my avian vet would be amongst that number, and I guess that's because he sees so many being neglected or mistreated. I can see both sides of the argument.

Wishing you all the best.

Ellie.