new diet

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

new diet

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi All

The other day I noticed that the top part of my birds' beaks were much redder than the bottom part which was more orange. Someone suggested that the bottom orange part was probably due to a nutrition problem in the past. Probably about six months ago, I changed from feeding them with multicoloured pellets and one or two types of pieces of veges and fruit every day to feeding a chop mix which has grains and lots of veges throughout it and a better brand of pellet. I also usually give them a whole piece of vege to chew on. Any way, I think that is probably what has improved their beak quality. It's funny, I didn't realise how orange their beaks were before until I noticed the top part was way redder than the bottom.

Ellie.
InTheAir

Re: new diet

Post by InTheAir »

That's great that the new diet is working well. What brand of pellets are you using now?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm just using Roudybush. I suspect the chop mix was the real reason for the change though. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an organic pellet but I don't think you can get them here?

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I haven't found any. There is one being developed in aus, but I don't think it's going to be ready for a few more months.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

So what's in this chop mix Ellie? Can you share pleeeease :D having beak issues over here lol
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

People, this beak talk makes me nervous.

Rocky's beak is red - deep, dark red, with a little black on the edges of the upper, and a lot of black on the lower. At the (upper) tip there is a band of a lighter colour I have trouble describing, and then more black (or like black at the very tippy tip.

I always worried it was supposed to be a lighter, brighter red, and since we're now talking beaks, I thought I'd bring it up. Of course I am grossly negligent in not being able to provide a photo.

The beak has a nice dull-shiny luster, if that makes sense. It's not glossy like nail polish, more like old fashioned waxed and buffed dark wood. It is smooth.

Does everybody think Rocky's beak is OK, or should it be light and bright or more glossy?
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

Haha DH and I were just talking about this yesterday. Hane's beak has always been very deep red, like what you're describing MissK, and I use the colour to tell me how he's been eating. It fades a little if he doesn't get enough veggies. I also use the deep orange around his eye- that changes even faster.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

Now I'm running off to inspect his eyes!!!!!!!!!
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

It also changes in the nares in the some males lol. Want to inspect his holes too :lol:
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D