I think Sam tried to feed Joey...

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

JoeysMom

I think Sam tried to feed Joey...

Post by JoeysMom »

So every night before bed. Joey and Sam have playtime together on the counter. I give them a bunch of toys, and they run around and play (including the infamous game of parrot/human fetch, we all know how that goes :lol: ). I always watch them very carefully, but they do seem to enjoy each others company. Last night was a little different than the usual. Joey was playing with her selected toy when she suddenly dropped it an scurried over to Sam. She started making these little noises as she approached. I watched both birds very carefully for any aggression. To my surprise Joey turned her head up, and Sam turned his head down and tried to feed Joey :shock: . Sam was very delicate about it, although I don't think he regurgitated much food. I was shocked.

My main worry (other than bird on bird aggression, but I always supervise their visits) is that Joey was viewing this as a parent feeding a baby, and Sam was, well, not on the same page. Oh, boy. :roll:
-Joey's Mom
InTheAir

Re: I think Sam tried to feed Joey...

Post by InTheAir »

Well, I guess at least the are getting on.

My boyfriend and I are a bit worried we're going to have that situation when we bring Nilas new friend home. Nila can't look in the mirror without feeding the pretty bird in there. Hopefully he will have settled down by the time the little one is weaned and comes here.

Let us know how they go.
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Sam did a quick "feeding" last night. I know some of it has to do with Sam's hormones right now. The good thing is that while Sam does get excited, he doesn't get really aggressive. I could keep them apart but they do seem to enjoy each others company. @InTheAir: I hope everything goes well when the new baby arrives! Is the new baby also a ringneck?

Joey did teach Sam something. How to eat with your foot! Sam had worn a full collar for so long that he had forgotten how. :( Since Joey's arrival, Sam has begun eating with his foot! :mrgreen:
-Joey's Mom
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Great. It's fabulous that your little flock are learning from each other.

We are getting a parent raised ringneck. S/he should be weaned and fledged in about a month.