Think my "dna'd" female is a male...

Moderator: Mods

Grlnlv2

Think my "dna'd" female is a male...

Post by Grlnlv2 »

The breeder told me she had dna'd the bird(and i payed her to) and it was a female. "She" is not even a year yet and is almost ending her first molt. I notice a darker ring(she is blue and the ring is greyish) starting to appear. My question is... Is it possible for a ring to appear this soon?! After a first molt? I wish i could post a pic but i just signed up today(and can't figure out how to)... Just curious if it's possible... Thanks:)
MissK

Re: Think my "dna'd" female is a male...

Post by MissK »

Isn't the blue ringneck's back of neck ring supposed to be white? Any sign of black anywhere? AND, most telling, I think, is this ring you see on the back or front of the neck? Anything interesting happen when you give the bird a mirror?

-MissK
-MissK
Grlnlv2

Post by Grlnlv2 »

The back of her neck is a light blue but she developed a greyish ring from under her neck half way around the side.
MissK

Post by MissK »

You mean under her beak? In the front? That does sound suspicious, and so does a ring of any kind under a year of age. I mean, every bird is unique, and I think the Alexandrine gets the ring super fast...... Did you witness this animal being a baby? That said, the DNA test is apparently not infallible. I would have questions too!

-MissK
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Blue females have a greyish ring. I can't remember how young Janey was when she got it. I'd say first moult isn't unreasonable. If it is a male bird, one day black feathers will grow and I think there is some white around it at the back too.

Ellie.
Grlnlv2

Post by Grlnlv2 »

Thanks for the response. Well, i won't be so nervous then;) in a few days hopefully i can post a pic and ya'll can see what i am talking about. Dudn't know females got a ring, just thought it was a lighter color of feathers around neck. Thanks fir the info:)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Not the best photo, but you can see grey sort of markings around Janey's face in this picture. If you can't see what I'm referring to, let me know and I'll take a picture specially.

This is her showing off that we can't use those streamers to keep her out of the laundry! ;)

Ellie.
Grlnlv2

Post by Grlnlv2 »

Ok, i can kind of see it and that seems how mine looks. Thanks!:) phew!
Grlnlv2

Post by Grlnlv2 »

She's a beauty btw!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks. We love her. :)
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Yes, even the green females have a light ring if you look closely. In Alexandrines, young babies have phantom rings and many often turn out to be female. If she had a DNA test I'm 99% sure she is female. I love females! They form such strong bonds w/ their owners. Congrats! :)

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
Grlnlv2

Post by Grlnlv2 »

Well, they said she was dna'd(and i paid extra for them to do it) but i never saw the paperwork on it and i called them and gave them my address to mail it to me and they never did... So i am pretty sure they didn't do it. Never know though. Doesn't really matter but i have bought a blue violet in the mean time hoping one day they might have babies.... If it's a girl;)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I was told Sanjay had been DNA tested, he is three now, and no sign of his collar and tie yet. I Hate liars!
Grlnlv2

Post by Grlnlv2 »

Yeah. It sucks when you have to put so much trust in a person/breeder because we want these beautiful birds and to have them lie to people just so they can make a dollar, is horrible. Hopefully she did test her, the grey collar just made me think about things and when i sent her my address and never received anything, it made me question it even more. Either way i love my girl(?)... I just don't like being deceived... She does look just like the pic above... So maybe she guessed correctly,)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

My blue is a girl. She has a light blue ring across the back of her neck and a grey ring that goes half way up on either side. She is 18 months. Her picture is in my signature. What you're describing sounds consistent with a female :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Kimma

Post by Kimma »

ellieelectrons wrote:Not the best photo, but you can see grey sort of markings around Janey's face in this picture. If you can't see what I'm referring to, let me know and I'll take a picture specially.

This is her showing off that we can't use those streamers to keep her out of the laundry! ;)

Ellie.
I know this post was from ages ago, but I just had to say what an awesome photo this is.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

lol, thanks. She's too smart for her own good!

Ellie.