Beds and bedding

Moderator: Mods

Caitrose96

Beds and bedding

Post by Caitrose96 »

I want to give my bird the best cage possible, he doesn't spend much time in it whch is good, however he does sleep in there. When i bought him i got him off a breeder who said that IRN's may like beds instead of perches, so like little hammock type things that you put in the cage, or a wooden box with a solid ground rather than a perch. Does anyone use things such as these? Right now i just have a few perches for him to sleep on, but if these are a better option i'll get him one of these! :mrgreen:
Skyes_crew

Re: Beds and bedding

Post by Skyes_crew »

I have heard of a few IRN's sleeping snuggled up to those fleece snugglies, but typically they don't sleep in those little huts. They like stable perches set up high. Something natural instead of a wood dowel since they will be on it for a large part of the night. As for a wooden box...the only IRN's who use those are breeding pairs during breeding season. I think it's a safe bet to just stick with the perches :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Quinn seems perfectly happy sleeping on the highest perch in his cage.
Just takin a break !

MissK

Post by MissK »

Actually, it occurs to me (as I'm staring right at it....) Rocky has a cardboard tube on its side as the absolute highest point for any kind of perching/sleeping in his cage, and he never uses it for anything more than a chew toy. If that helps any. It was supposed to be a fun tunnel or hidey hole. I put a jute mesh inside for traction and everything. Chew Toy. Sniff. :(
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Awww don't feel bad MissK. They have minds of their own for sure. I put all these nice perches up high for hamlet to sleep on and he chooses to perch precariously on the edge of his bamboo toy. I gave Cyrano a high perch made out of birch and he ate it. I gave Skye a high perch and she sleeps on a swing. Three different birds, three different personalities. :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

No respect, I tell ya.

Especially
Skyes_crew wrote:and he ate it
-MissK
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Joey sleeps on a rope perch next to her fleece birdie buddy (or snuggly, but that is what I call it). I had bought her a tent, but she only slept in it when she was still being weaned. As soon as she weaned, she wanted nothing to do with the tent. I guess she decided that she was too "grown up" for that.
-Joey's Mom
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Since this thread is labeled beds and bedding I think I'll hijack it just a little.

Bedding. Normally I would use corn cob bedding and litter. However I have now switched to using nothing at all.

It started because my bird goes outside alot. (depending on the weather) I take him out by carrying the house cage out to the big cage outside. Well bugs were invading the bedding. Ants, yellow jackets, gnats, and anything else you can think of were all over the stuff. I got tired of changing the bedding out every single day so i decided to go without.

Well the end result has actually led me to keep his cage much cleaner than I ever did before. By seeing all the mess on the bottom of the cage versus it being absorbed by bedding or just blending in I am encouraged to at least take the pan out every day and spray it with a pressure nozzle on the water hose.

This is actually much cleaner overall and likely even more sanitary in the long run.