Coconut oil

Moderator: Mods

BrendaDup

Coconut oil

Post by BrendaDup »

Hi, I have been reading about coconut oil for my dogs and I read where someone gives it to their birds, has anyone else tried it? Willow is doing great I have her off all seed and on pellets I only give her sun flower seeds for a treat every now in then.Brenda
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Coconut oil

Post by ringneck »

Hey Brenda,

Good topic! It is funny you mentioned it. I have been doing a lot of research on the topic in general. While doing my research coconut oil is something that should be given to all parrots. I myself give it to my birds. I get mine from Trader Joe's. It's organic and very healthy for them.

I find it keeps my ringnecks looking healthy and it gives them essential fatty acids. It's amazing! I say go for it! I love how vibrant Archimedes is and how aqua Devri is. I'm always complimented on their feathers and colors. It works wonders. My grey does take it and his feathers are perfect. Bright red tail and nice hues of grey. My Conures take coconut oil too. Just like my ringnecks you can see how vibrant they are.

But you know what's even better than coconut oil? Look up Dende Oil for parrots. It has a lot of Vitamin A and keeps the coloring vibrant as well as so many other things I could go on and on about.

I'm currently helping an owner stop their Conure from plucking and this is my next secret weapon!

Hope this helps :wink: !

Best Wishes, IMRAN-C
BrendaDup

Post by BrendaDup »

Hi thanks so much for replying , I was wondering how much you give them? also I have Willow on fruits and veg I forgot to add that not just pellets Just in the 6 weeks that I have had her she looks so pretty the young lady only fed her cocktail seed and an occasional strawberry . she is a different bird not only in color but personality. I am trying to figure out how to put her picture in my post so I can show her off. Thanks again
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Coconut oil is also the best leave-in conditioner, applied lightly it makes your hair shine :mrgreen:

Ellie wrote a good introduction to posting pics:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=15060

Regards,
Claire
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hey Brenda,

I give it to them about two times a week. I mostly focus on whole grains, fruits, vegetables. I know macaws need a lot more fat, but there has not been enough studies on ringnecks. So, I stick to two times a week. But I'm going to move over to Dende Oil soon. :) Just place a spoon full and mix it with their vegetables or favorite treats once or twice a week. :mrgreen:
BrendaDup

Post by BrendaDup »

Thanks so much Ringneck , and in the air ,I am also using it on my dogs and in their food.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

What is dende oil? I suppose I could look it up, but a first hand experience with it is more appealing to me. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay loves coconut, full stop. But we used coconut oil to encourage our dogs fur to grow back after surgery, they mostly licked it off.
Melika

Post by Melika »

sanjays mummi wrote:Sanjay loves coconut, full stop. But we used coconut oil to encourage our dogs fur to grow back after surgery, they mostly licked it off.
Aye, and I don't think I would apply to a bird externally, as they may not like the feeling- ESPECIALLY if it gets on feathers. Some birds have been known to pluck out oily feathers (case first comes to mind of a man who ate potato chips and pet his bird every day, leaving potato chip grease on the feathers).

Most skin people agree that coconut oil does just as much, if not more, when taken internally rather than used externally anyway.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay