I want you to go to there...

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

ranechild

I want you to go to there...

Post by ranechild »

This morning I let Fats out of the cage while I changed his pellets, seed, and water. He wanted to get on my shoulder... I put him on top of the cage.
After everything was fixed up (I had to move the seed from a dish on the bottom of the cage to a hanging cup because we are currently experiencing an ant probem... They were crawling all through his seed--I'll accept comments on this), I got out an almond to see if he would go in his cage himself if I put the almond in his dish.
He saw it, did his little head turning to the side thing a few times, then climbed down the outside of the cage and tried to stick his beak through the bars to get that almond. "But I don't wanna go in--but I want that almond!!!!"
Through the bars, he got a few pellets, a peanut shell, then stood looking at me seemingly saying, "can't you give that to me out here?"
I put him in the cage and off to work I went... He's so cute. makes my life very happy.
MissK

Re: I want you to go to there...

Post by MissK »

Ahhhh, birdie bliss!

Put the seed dish in a larger dish of water, so the seed dish is protected by a little moat. Quite soon your new pet ants will figure out where the seed went, otherwise. If you experience tippage, consider maybe a chip/dip style bowl, glass if you can get it. Also, don't use poison on the ants. I hear they're bitter, but you know who might taste them anyway.

Good luck!

-MissK
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Similar to MissK's suggestion, I have a big patio style cage that's on wheels. I have 4 small plastic bowls and 4 bigger plastic bowls that I use to put the wheels in. I put a smaller bowl inside a larger one and then put the cage wheel inside the small bowl and then fill up the outside bowl with water so the ants can't get in.

Ellie.
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

That's great. I think I will put his cage wheels in the dishes.

Though the ant like his pan.. It might take a while to get the ants "off the island"
Thanks ladies!