Homemade Yogurt/Fermentation

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Melika

Homemade Yogurt/Fermentation

Post by Melika »

Making my own yogurt is easy! Does anyone else ferment food?

Cultures were purchased from http://www.culturesforhealth.com/ the Villi and Matsoni are the ones I bought, though currently I only have the Villi going. It's countertop yogurt, meaning it's made at room temperature so no fancy equipment needed! Perfect for me.

Locally where I live now I can get raw grass-fed milk so I use that now. My husband scraped the cream off the top of the yogurt and made grass-fed butter last week in the KitchenAid mixer. :lol:

I used to make this yogurt before I met my husband and then life just got crazy. But now we're married and settled and he asked me to make it again, because it tastes better and doesn't have any nastiness added. I wouldn't say it's cheaper, because raw milk isn't cheap, but I am happier with it and like knowing it's good for me. :)

Next project is making pickles and saurkraut!

Spelling edit.
Last edited by Melika on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Re: Homemade Yogurt/Fermentation

Post by MissK »

Too Much Fun!

:D
-MissK
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

So we just made a batch of sauerkraut in a Fido jar, inspired by this lady's blog because it seemed the easiest, and she likes to back up her experiments with science and actually checking bacteria under a microscope to find what the best fermentation methods are. Check out her Sauerkraut Survivor series to see which methods she recommends. :)

Let you know how it tastes in a month!

Now my DH wants to make kombucha. XD
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Melika

Post by Melika »

Here's the second batch of sauerkraut, this time both red and green cabbage. Nothing else was added except salt. The first batch (green cabbage) was so TASTY!

Melika

Post by Melika »

From left to right: lacto-fermented pickles, purple/green (PINK) cabbage sauerkraut, green cabbage kraut, beet kvass.

DH also raised a kombucha scoby and is currently brewing, but I didn't get a picture. That lovely purple and green cabbage has now turned a lovely pink, as you can see. Everything looks healthy and fermenting. Pickles are still bubbling like mad.

Hane has tested some of the kraut, he isn't sure about it just yet. He likes a little yogurt though. I'm thinking he will totally go for the beet kvass.

No one else wants to try fermenting? It's easy! Cut things up, make brine if needed, put in jar, lock it and forget it. :D