Best diet for a ringneck laying eggs

Moderator: Mods

Melindalea

Best diet for a ringneck laying eggs

Post by Melindalea »

What is the best foods to help my ringneck have healthy eggs/babies?
InTheAir

Re: Best diet for a ringneck laying eggs

Post by InTheAir »

I don't personally breed birds, but my understanding is that a calcium block should be available. The breeder I am getting my new bird from provides a high quality parrot seed mix, fresh fruit and vegetables daily.

If you post your breeding questions in the section of this forum titled breeding indian ringnecks you will probably get more responses from experienced bird breeders.

Regards,
Claire
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Good pick up Claire, I have moved this to the Breeding section.

My girl has only laid eggs one season. For the most part I'm trying to prevent her laying... but when she did, I made sure there was extra calcium sources in the cage. I used a calcium perch and cuttlefish. I also gave as varied a diet as possible with plenty of fresh vegetables and I was feeding them religiously twice a day.

I've never heard of breeders using some sort of food to entice the male bird to be more aggressive. With my two, my female begs the male to mate with her and at this time of year he definitely obliges, many, many times a day! I'd be interested in knowing if other breeders ever feel the need to use this method.

I'd also like to clarify - I'm sure rritoch isn't advocating cock fighting in his post, just explaining why the vitamins are readily available in the Philippines... but just thought I'd double check that with him here.

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks rritoch. That's interesting... and an eye-opener!

Ellie.
Dha Aviary

Post by Dha Aviary »

Hi Ellie,
I am from Manila Philippines and new with IRN.
may I asked what is this particular vitamin would like to check it out.
mokhan65

Post by mokhan65 »

Hi can anyone please help me out i got a blue male and white female IRN (has all finges but no nails) bought 3 months ago breeder told me they are breeding pair and gave me one of their baby too, they breed in aviary with other ringneck and now they in big cage inside in my sitting room .
got 2 question:
1- they are only interested to eat sunflower seeds ive tried (Harrison high potency,Harrison Life time,zupreem and tropimix bird food which has 30 different seeds +Add mineral block and add boost in water) but they just come down test them and leave.
ive mixed sunflower with Harrison Palets but they eat only seeds and nothing,also tried fruits and veg but same result. im so worried because ive noticed they are getting week they re not as they were before. please help me.
2- after ive bought i put nest box they start going in male spend more time then female in nest box but after a month they stooped ,ive clean box again put nesting material and put it back but nothing happened.
they are very bonded( sit together and little bit peen each very rarely ) but i never seen male whistle or shows any other signs of breeding, sometimes i thought baby that breeder gave me with them which i hand reared is not their and he sold me because he wanted to get ride of them
does anyone know what's the problem and guide me please