Help, is she too young to breed??

Moderator: Mods

Keano

Help, is she too young to breed??

Post by Keano »

Hi there,
I have 2 female ringnecks( I had them DNA tested) that I bought from a breeder that breeds many different species of birds.I bought a yellow, now named Sherbet and a blue now named Merlin. I was told they were approx 4 to 5 months old, aviary raised but would be easy to train, that was back in March. I have persevered daily with touching and talking to them. Merlin is a gentle girl but Sherbet is vicious. She still snaps at my hands and bites me if I get her on my finger. She is much bigger than Merlin too. I know it is early days yet in the life of a parrot, so I am not too concerned. I bought a green male ringneck last month, Bollie, who is nearly 4yrs old as the owners just didn't have the time to put in to him. He is hand raised and lovely. I now have them to the stage that they all sit happily together on their big play stand and they share food etc. Why I am writing is because Bollie is feeding Sherbert and presenting to her. He grooms her and she grooms him and they snuggle up to each other in their very large cage. I take it Sherbert is too young to breed.... Should I just leave them together minus a breeding box?
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Help, is she too young to breed??

Post by ringneck »

Hey Kaino,

I moved this topic. :)

It all depends if you honestly believe Sherbert will not attack Bollie. As long as I have had Devri, I don't trust her with my other birds alone. She is so sweet when i'm watching her interact with Archimedes or my conures. The moment I turn my back she becomes a monster to them. For now it is great that you let them hangout together. But if you feel it is safe, then go ahead and make the change. Just be sure to camp out next to Sherbet's cage to be sure she does not suddenly attack him.

All my breeder females are paired with permanent males--so this is great. I once had a female ringneck named Regan. She was named that after the little girl from the exorcist. She was such a monster, but i did successfully get her to bond with a blue male. Unfortunately, she passed away unexpectedly. Anyway, it's possible just have your eagle eyes open. :OP

Best wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C
Keano

Post by Keano »

Thank you.
Keano

Post by Keano »

Bollie and Sherbert are now happily sharing their huge cage each night and Merlin, my other female sleeps in a smaller cage by herself. I have included a nesting box with Bollie and Sherbert but neither of them seem interested in checking it out at all and they are both still happy to come out each day and join Merlin, on their play stand. They continue to preen each other and Bollie dances, beeps and feeds her constantly.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Nice job!

As for the nesting box, the female will show interest in it once she gets into breeding mode. :)

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
Keano

Post by Keano »

I think she is well into breeding mode, I just don't think he quite knows what to do! She was getting into the mating position yesterday, he put his foot on her back and then tried to pick her foot up and they both nearly fell off the perch. Very funny...poor little fella!!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

That's so funny! Believe me in time he'll learn how to get it right. For now i'd put a platform for them. :)

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

My two are mating every chance they get at the moment. I'm trying _not_ to breed mine. The only perches they have up high are swings and he has trouble getting on her back. In fact he only ever has one foot on her back and the other one either on the perch or on the metal attaching the swing to the top of the cage. I was going to move a fixed perch up there (all the fixed perches are lower down in the cage) but then I was wondering if doing it on the swing might serve as a contraceptive!

Ellie.
Keano

Post by Keano »

I checked in the nesting box this morning when I came home from work.....they have been in there and have dug down into all the nesting peat! Up until then, it had sat there untouched for nearly 2 weeks! Interesting times.