I am lazy and horrible

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

ranechild

I am lazy and horrible

Post by ranechild »

I got home from work rather late last night, the living room was already dark, but I decided to go bother Fats anyway. I got him to step up and was suprised to see one of the screw closing toy hooks attached to his band. He seemed pretty eager to come to me, hmm. It took some doing to get it off. His band is pretty loose so it didn't seem to have hurt his leg. Then I start looking for the toy that used to be attached to the clip.... Ahhh the toy that used to be full of popsicle sticks.
Anyway, I am not going to be lazy anymore. I will always screw closed the toy's hook from now on. And I think I'm going to cut the band off. Things could have been much worse than just having to carry around a hook all day. Poor thing.
MissK

Re: I am lazy and horrible

Post by MissK »

You could get crazy and tie things up with some clean twine. Don't feel bad. You literally can't control everything.

Fats can unscrew those screw-shut things anyway. I agree there is a certain amount of liability with a bird wearing a band. That said, I can see that in all the time I've kept birds, I can't recall a single instance of the band causing trouble.

-MissK
-MissK
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

I never had a band problem. I did have Joey's removed though, just to be on the safe side. Hers was really lose. I did however have a toy link problem. My Quaker, Sam got himself hooked by the beak on one. It was horrifying. He was hanging from it, I had to remove them from the cage, and remove the link. Then I had to rush to the vets at ten o'clock at night, because Sam would not stop bleeding from the wound under his beak. I always tie on toys now, or use really big links that cannot possibly be undone, or cause trouble.

That is my toy link horror story. I thought I would share it.
-Joey's Mom
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Joey's Mom, That is HORRIBLE. I'd be in a panic. Glad he ended up alright.
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

It was terrifying. At that time I didn't have a avian vet. Sam wasn't even six months old yet. I actually used the vet directory in the back of the Birds USA magazine. I found a wonderful vet. She saw Joey for his first check up. Joey fell in love with her instantly! :D

Always be wary of toy links! < That is what Sam tells Joey I am sure!

-Joey's Mom
-Joey's Mom
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm so happy Joey is ok. My birds unscrew the hooks too lol. I have replaced most of them with the big metal rope climbing D clips. So far so good :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D