Colours?

Moderator: Mods

Leigh

Colours?

Post by Leigh »

So, I'm sort of a beginner at breeding - going to hand feed my first IRN babies in a few months. My aunt's got three pairs, and we've been hunting down info on what colours she'll get.

I'm not entirely sure if there are splits, but she's only had yellows and green from the first two pairs so I'm pretty sure there aren't. Don't have info on gender of any chicks though, so the most I'm thinking is the Green could have Lutino. The third pair is a new one, the grey male being a replacement for the hen's previous mate who was killed.

Lutino X Green hen (green/lutino split boys, lutino girls)
Green X Blue hen (green split blue)
Grey X Lutino hen (all greens, right? I'm pretty sure the grey is a proper grey not grey-green or silver if that makes sense)

Now, myself, I'm not a fan of Greens and Lutinos (anything with red eyes creeps me out), don't mind a nice blue and I love the greys. Mutations seem pretty rare down here (NZ), the most I've ever seen is the odd olive, cinnamon, silver (which is cinnamon anyway, right?) and different blue shades. I have hunted down some breeders though, and I'm trying to decide what colours I want in my own pairs. I've got aviaries sorted, but they look all sad and empty so it's time to fill them up.

I definitely want a Creamino*, but am I right in thinking a male Creamino (with a Grey or Silver, I'm thinking) will be more likely to have some more coloured chicks? I really haven't seen any hand raised Creamino (or anything beyond blue, grey, green and lutino for that matter), but I would love to have one... or fifty. Other than that I'm stumped. I'm not a fan of most green based colours, and I have never heard of the lacewings/pallids/pieds/cleartails etc being in NZ. Maybe if I win lotto I'll import some because those cleartails are gorgeous. So, I'm open to suggestions? I'm only looking at two pairs at this point, and if I can't get a Creamino I'm going after a Turquoise & Albino pair (I think that's right, and probably the easiest way to breed a Creamino because Albino and Turquoise are easier to get).

Oh, and one other small question - does anyone know which flavours of Pedialyte are safe for birds? I can only get Bubblegum flavour here, and can't find any other brand of liquid electrolytes.

I may be getting mixed up between Creamino and Pastel Blue Lacewings. Images labelled badly or something, but the Creamino labelled images were sort of starting white/yellowish and got to Blue around their middle and darker to the tail. Kinda want both now, but Lacewings aren't here that I can find. I just want something different to the annoyingly common greens and lutinos.

Thanks, Leigh.
Mad Max

Re: Colours?

Post by Mad Max »

Hi Leigh
For your aunts pairs I would put 1) Lutino X Lutino (Breed Lutino young) 2)Grey X Blue (Breed Grey and Blue young) 3)Green X Green (Breed Green young) . This way all the young are clean birds with no splits. EG Lutino for a Turquoise or 2 Greens for a different colour ETC .
She could then swop or sell the youngsters she wants to , I would swop with other breeders to bring new colours into my collection.

As for your idea of Creamino X Grey
Young Cocks
1,0 25% green /ino /blue
1,0 25% Grey green /ino /blue
1,0 25% Grey turquoiseBlue /ino
1,0 25% turquoiseBlue /ino

Young Hens
0,1 25% ino turquoiseBlue
0,1 25% ino /blue
0,1 25% ino Grey /blue
0,1 25% ino Grey turquoiseBlue

This would give you some nice cock birds for further breeding and white or Creamino hens .

And for Creamino X Grey Cinnamon

Young Cocks
1,0 25% green /cinnamon /ino /blue
1,0 25% Grey green /cinnamon /ino /blue
1,0 25% Grey turquoiseBlue /cinnamon /ino
1,0 25% turquoiseBlue /cinnamon /ino

Young Hens
0,1 25% ino turquoiseBlue
0,1 25% ino /blue
0,1 25% ino Grey /blue
0,1 25% ino Grey turquoiseBlue

Here you will have a double sex linked split mutation in the cock birds and White or Creamino hens .

Example of what you could expect from above young

1,0 green /cinnamon /ino /blue x 0,1 blue

Young Cocks
1,0 12.5% green /blue
1,0 12.5% green /cinnamon /blue
1,0 12.5% green /cinnamon /ino /blue
1,0 12.5% green /ino /blue
1,0 12.5% blue
1,0 12.5% blue /cinnamon
1,0 12.5% blue /cinnamon /ino
1,0 12.5% blue /ino

Young Hens
0,1 12.5% green /blue
0,1 12.5% blue
0,1 12.5% cinnamon blue
0,1 12.5% cinnamon green /blue
0,1 12.5% cinnamon ino blue
0,1 12.5% cinnamon ino /blue
0,1 12.5% ino blue
0,1 12.5% ino /blue

As you can see you only need a sex linked cock to extract the cinnamon but the cinnamon and Ino's will be Hens all the cocks will be possable split Cinnamon , possable split Ino or both ,Green and Blue birds .

Hope this helps
Regards
Robert