IRN newbie! Helpppp!

Moderator: Mods

ezncharlie

IRN newbie! Helpppp!

Post by ezncharlie »

Hey guys :D I'm fairly new around here and have literally spent hours reading through as many posts as I can to try and learn and understand my 8 month old IRN, Charlie. She/he (we'll go with a "she" for now) is one of the most gentle birds I've ever come across, and she has never bitten me or anyone else. She doesn't go crazy when I'm near her cage, nor does she freak out when I put my hand near her.

It doesn't seem like she is scared, I think she's just not quite sure who or what she can trust. I can't seem to get her out of her cage. I don't want to force her out (I don't want any to break any trust or make her scared in anyway), but I want her to feel just as safe on my shoulder as she would in her cage. When I picked her up from the shop, they clipped one of her wings, and I really don't think they did a very good job :? . As soon as she is more than 2 meters away from her cage, she flies straight back. From what I can tell, she has no problem flying and she knows exactly where she is going and how to get there. I'm worried she will hurt herself if she hits something. I'm considering taking her to a vet on the weekend to get her wings clipped a little better so that she can't fly as well... Is this a bad idea?

Also, any tips on how I could get her comfortable to come outside of her cage and just comfortable with me in general?

I've noticed she absolutely LOVES apple, are there any other little treats that our gorgeous little IRN's love? Any help or little tips would be fantastic... I'm very new to this whole 'bird taming' thing and I'm keen to learn more :) can't wait to hear from my fellow IRN lovers!

Erin :)
- Erin and Charlie!

InTheAir

Re: IRN newbie! Helpppp!

Post by InTheAir »

Hey Erin,
Welcome to the forum.
Getting friendly with your bird takes time. It works best if you don't rush it.

As far as treats, most irns are pretty fond of sunflower seeds and little pieces of nuts. Our bird loves passion fruit also. Keep trying new foods and you'll figure out her favourites.

I think it's a good thing Charlie can fly. There are so many benefits to the bird.
Ideally her wings should be even, or she may crash because the balance is out.
http://www.avianweb.com/wingclipping.html is a very good article on why birds should be flighted.
It's also very cool when your bird flies around the house like a little stealth fighter and lands on you for fun.
We have never clipped our bird (he's almost a year old) and he instinctively knows he can't fly through walls. He has also learnt that windows are solid.
If you want more information on living with flighted birds there are quite a few people on this board who can help.

Regards,
Claire
ezncharlie

Post by ezncharlie »

Hi Claire,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I was a bit concerned about her being able to fly - at the moment it seems she hasn't really grasped the concept that windows and walls are solid, which frightens me because I'm worried she'll hurt herself.

She's also only got one wing clipped... should I get the other wing clipped to balance her out? Everyone that I've spoken to has different opinions on it.

Only last night, I put a perch on top of her cage so that she can come in and out whenever she wants. She seems to like that, and she spends most of her time now sitting on top of the perch - still frightened to be seperated from the actual cage itself though. Should I just give her time to get comfortable outside of the cage before handling her too much?

She's also very chatty... she loves to chat to all the birds outside in the morning when I open the window for some fresh air.

I'll just take things slow, and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help again!

- Erin and Charlie!

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi Erin, welcome :D

I can't believe I'm going to say this. Claire please forgive me....but I think you should clip the other wing to even her flying out. And then let them both grow back in together.

The perch up top is great. It gives her the opportunity to get used to her surroundings while safely staying near to something she feels comfortable with. I would start with handling her near the cage. Just sit with her in a chair where she can easily get back if she feels nervous. Gradually you can move further away from the cage with her. Once she's flighted again she'll gain confidence a lot quicker and will land on you out of the blue. I love those moments. Ringnecks are not usually real cuddly birds. They like humans, but they also love to choose when. That's where treats come into play. You have to teach your bird that you're a human treat dispenser :D Once she realizes that she'll be your best friend. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey Erin,

The wings should be made even, or she will be unable to control her flight and will crash into things.

Haha you beat me to it Melissa!

I highly recommend not taking any more off the wing that is already clipped. Severe clipping can really stuff a birds self confidence and lead to biting.

Just give her time to settle in, make sure she has toys and things to amuse herself there. She will come hang out with you when she is ready. She will like being able to watch you from there, where she feels safe.
Handing her treats is a great way to get on her good side!

If you talk to her and repeat little sentences she may start talking back eventually.

I love watching our bird as much as I like playing with him. He does the cutest things!

Things to search on the forums that are essential to happy sane parrots: foraging and play gym/stand and, my personal favourite, flighted birds. ..
I'm too lazy to explain these today :p
ezncharlie

Post by ezncharlie »

You guys are such great help! I'm so glad I found this site!

So tonight I found Charlie's food weakness (which will now be used as her treat). Not sure if anyone else has tried it before, but I mashed up some sweet potato and she LOVED it! Definitely recommend trying it with your IRN if you haven't already!

I think I'm definitely leaving towards getting her other wing clipped on the weekend. She just seems to be off balance a little when she flies and even sometimes just walking. It can't hurt right?

Fingers crossed!

Thanks again :)

ERIN!
- Erin and Charlie!

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Erin

Glad you're going well with Charlie.

When I first got my two IRNs, I heard lots of differing opinions on clipping one or both wings. Whilst I always leaned towards getting both wings lightly clipped (if you were going to get them clipped at all), what finally made me decide that clipping both wings was the best way to go was talking to a friend of mine who used to own a bird-specialty pet store. He said that people would regularly bring birds into him that were injured from a fall due to being unbalanced by one wing clipped. People would often dump these birds at the store and he now cares for a lot of these birds in his house. They're living happy lives, but it is a shame for the bird to be injured when it could have been prevented. I think the most common injuries seem to be spinal problems.

I also believe that clipping your bird's wings shouldn't prevent them from flying. It should just hinder it a tiny bit so that they can't fly upwards or flying upwards is more difficult. They should be able to fly downwards (especially so they can land well if they fall) and possibly even horizontally.

I don't clip my birds any more, they are fully flighted but I did have them clipped when I first brought them home. It is really wonderful to have them fully-flighted. If you continue to be patient and persistent with Charlie, eventually he'll enjoy hanging out with you and he'll also enjoy being his own bird too.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Ellie and Erin: you can start your own Charlie club, since you both have charlies!

Our bird is partial to sweet potato and cooked pumpkin too. There's a good sticky thead in the diet and housing section on what you can feed a ringneck that may give you more ideas.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

From what I can tell, Charlie seems to be a popular name for IRNs. :)

Ours was named after Charles Bingley in Pride and Prejudice and hs middle name Edward is from Sense and Sensibility... And therefore our female is Janey Ellinor. Sad but true. :)

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Ellie, that's not so bad, says the one with a third of the cast of Rocky Horror in her living room............

Erin, it sounded to me that you were not fully convinced about evening up the wings. Let me add my voice: I also suggest that it is better that the bird be balanced. I'm concerned about what happens to her trying to accommodate a bad wing trim, about not being able to fully control her flight, and more. It's a rare day that you will find me in support of wing trims, but I feel this situation warrants it. Of course, once the trim is even, I would suggest do not trim again, probably forever.

All question of screwing up her flight and crashing aside, it seems to me she may be at risk of pulling a muscle. Now, I know of nobody else who has thought of this, but just think how nasty it is when you stress a muscle in a twist - that's just a matter of using your body improperly. So is trying to fly with half a wing! Everybody can call me an overly creative worry wart over this, but I think it is also a valid concern.

-MissK
-MissK
ezncharlie

Post by ezncharlie »

Hey Everyone :)

Ellie, at least you have an explanation for naming your IRN Charlie! Mine just came out of no where, just seemed suitable, mostly becuase I don't actually know if its a he or a she, but Charlie suits for both :)

So I think I'm just going to go and get her other wing clipped on the weekend, to even her balance out. And that will be the last time I clip them I think! I think it's stressing her out even more that when she does try and fly, she just doesn't have as much control as she should (due to only one wing being clipped). I don't want to stop her from being able to fly at all, but I do want to keep her safe.

Has anyone else never had a problem with their IRN biting? When I got Charlie, I was told that she had never been handled before, she had always been an avairy bird. This obviously made me slightly concerned to touch her for the first time. But I have never met an animal that is so gentle in my life. She has never once tried to bite me, nor has she ever gone crazy and flapped around when I've gone near her or her cage. Is this common for IRN's?

Another crazy question, but my boyfriend is waiting to pick up his new baby Alexandrine in a couple of weeks, which means that we will have two parrots in the house (seperate cages). Has anyone else had a situation like this? Do IRN's like other parrots, and vice versa? We understand they obviously wouldn't be the best of friends straight away, but living in the same house, we would want them to at least agree with eachother. Any tips on that would be great as well!

You are all so helpful, thank you!

Regards,

Erin!
- Erin and Charlie!

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Erin

IRNs can and do bite, so if your bird isn't biting, that's really good. Be thankful for that. If your bird is young, it may grow into biting, so try not to make your bird do anything it doesn't want to do... as this is what will prompt the bite. You should also read up on bluffing:
http://www.indianringneck.com/bluffing/
I don't get bites from mine very often, but occasionally I still do and it can be painful. Our girl, Janey, has been known to draw blood.

There are exceptions to every rule, but generally Alexandrines and IRNs will keep to themselves. I know someone who has 10+ Alexandrines and 2 IRNs. They are all housed in separate cages but in the same room. The IRNs and Alexandrines don't intermingle. This could, however, be because there are so many birds involved, it may be different with just two. IRNs and Alexandrines have been known to interbreed in captivity, so one would think it isn't out of the realms of possibility that they will get along. I suggest you introduce them to each other really slowly - start by having them in separate rooms and gradually move them closer over time. If you have them out of the cage at the same time, supervise this really well. If I were you, I'd be happy if they keep to themselves (so long as they don't pick on each other) and ecstatic if they enjoy being together.

FYI - I've got videos of my guys on our youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ellieelectrons

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hey Erin,

I actually have both an Alex and my two ringnecks. I had the ringnecks first. How old will the alex be when your BF brings him home? If its before he is fledged, I suggest putting them on the floor together for some supervised play time together. Baby Alex's are super gentle. Your ringneck will actually be in charge lol. Put some seeds down for them to forage together. My one ringneck can be a little bossy, but my younger male and my Alex are close friends. They are both male though. If you follow this link to another thread and scroll half way down you'll see my Alex playing with one of my IRN's.

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 18&t=17187

ezncharlie

Post by ezncharlie »

Hello again :)

Ellie, your IRN's are gorgeous! I've shown my BF and dad the videos, absolutely adorable. Fingers crossed I can train Charlie up like that one day!

In regards to the two birds mingling, the Alex would only be a baby - 10 to 12 weeks old. We would of course have them in seperate cages to begin with, but it would obviously be great to have them become friends later on as well... I understand it would be a slow process.

At the moment, Charlie won't get out of one particular corner in her cage. She doesn't move around much in there, so I'm thinking maybe I need some more toys? Any ideas on what IRN's love in their cages?

I wish I could show you all a photo of my gorgeous Charlie, but I think I need to post some more things and use this a little more to be able to, is that right?

Talk soon!
- Erin and Charlie!

Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi, welcome Erin, Hope you got the other wing trimmed and evened up. Try putting a playtree right next to her cage with some food hanging on, then maybe she will go onto it, and you can move the tree further away slowly, as she gets used to going on it.

Ash
ezncharlie

Post by ezncharlie »

Hi everyone :)

I just wanted to give you an update on how Charlie is going.

I clipped her other wing on the weekend (only the flight wing), and it's almost like I have a different bird. When we first did it, she was a little stressed and tried flying straight back to her cage, only to realise she didn't have the ability to fly the distance. Since then, she hasn't even tried flying back to her cage and is happy and comfortable walking around the house on my shoulder. I'm really quite dissapointed at how the shop clipped her first wing when I got her, as they clipped more than just her flight wings - poor thing.

Something I find interesting though, is that when she's out of her cage, she doesn't have a problem with hands or fingers, at all. However, when she is in her cage, she hates them. She will move as far away as she can, usually right to the back of the cage, up the top and in the centre, (where my short little legs don't allow me to reach). Any ideas on how we can fix this?

On the weekend I spoilt her rotten, I bought a big new cage for her (which she LOVES), as well as a whole bunch of new toys which I'll keep swapping in and out of her cage. I also have a perch right next to the cage, with some sunflower seeds in a little bowl. I have positioned the perch so that she can climb down her cage and onto it, whenever she wants. I've only seen her do that once. In her old cage, she used to just sit in the back left hand side corner and not move or climb anywhere. Since she's been in the new bigger cage, its like a big playground and she just loves exploring! She seems really happy :)

Another little concern, is that since I have had her, she has had a limp when walking. I've noticed that one of her back claws on her left foot is limp, as if it has no feeling or no strength. She holds her left foot up and only stands on her right leg whenever possible. If I take her to the vet, is there actually anything they'll be able to do? What if her claw is broken? Can they fix it, or will it just have to heal over time?

Thanks for all your ideas and help!

... Erin :)
- Erin and Charlie!

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey,
I'm glad Charlie is settling in.
It is a good idea to have a checkup with an avian vet when you get a new bird regardless of whether it seems healthy or not. Since she has something wrong with her foot it is even more important!

Regards,
Claire
MissK

Post by MissK »

Erin,

Talking about the cage - since you have a new cage I think you have a chance to start fresh with putting yourself in it. Try not to give her the chance to think you don't belong in there. I would let the bird be in it and lead her all around it with good food bribes, with your hand actually inside the cage. Let her be in it while you service the cage and move things around. Try to find a moment several times a day to reach in and add something nice to the cage - something the BIRD already thinks is nice, not just something she ought to like. And don't neglect any areas.

There was a time, a brief one, when Rocky and I were new to each other, when he didn't want me in his cage. I just deflected his hostile advances and firmly told him it was MY cage and I just let him live in it. That was more for me, you understand, but I hope that speaking to him at the time helped him understand I wasn't sneaking around. I also go to the trouble of reaching in to wipe the grate. Sure, the grate pulls out and is a dream to clean, but I like to do the initial wiping by reaching in. I have to stick my head and one shoulder in to reach the back. Following this practice ensures I don't neglect to put myself in the cage and keep him current with the idea that me being in there is all in a day's work.

Some people hold the idea that the bird's cage is his castle and he deserves not to have us intrude. Obviously, I feel otherwise. I do respect his sleeping perch, however, as his one spot of total control. I think everyone needs a spot that is always safe and secure from even any threat of being bothered. So, there, in fact I do keep off his sleeping perch when he is on it. If he isn't on it, then it's fair game for me.

-MissK
-MissK
ezncharlie

Post by ezncharlie »

I'm taking Charlie to the vet this afternoon! I'll get a standard health check done, and I'm hoping to find out whether she's actually a girl or not! Fingers crossed she's a healthy little bird!

MissK - thanks for the tips, I'll give it all a try and see how I go. She is very protective of the cage, considering she's only been in it for the past 3 days. Very funny to see how quickly she took ownership of it!

Thanks again for all your help!

Erin.
- Erin and Charlie!

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I hope the vet trip went well!

Regards,
Claire
ezncharlie

Post by ezncharlie »

Hi Claire,

Thanks! The vet trip was interesting... the vet seems to think that she has a dud nerve in one of her claws on her left foot. It's just really floppy compared to the other claws, but doesn't cause her any pain.

He seems to think it may be as a result of an injury when she was younger, that was never looked at or taken care of, and now she just has a flimbsy claw. As long as it's not bothering her or causing her any pain, then I'm happy :)

He also mentioned that its good to put some native plants or branches in her cage... does anyone else do this? Do the IRN's like it?

Talk later!

- Erin and Charlie!

MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Erin,

I like using natural sticks in my bird cages. They naturally vary in diameter, good for keeping the feet exercised. I leave the bark on for traction, softness, and interest. Also, they are free from my yard, and in abundant supply. **NOTE: I have not had chemicals in my yard for a number of years, so I feel pretty good about using them. My neighbors are also pretty, um, lax gardeners, and I've never known them to use chemicals. Chemicals and accidentally choosing toxic plants are the primary concerns when you go get your own wood.

If you decide to use natural harvested wood for perches, you should read up on how to make sure it is safe. Personally, I just go out and prune my fig and stick the branches right in the cage. If you cut live wood, remember to account for shrinkage as it dries. I did not think to do that the first time, and ended up with six perches too short to span my Canary cages. Oops. They made nice swings.......

Another nice thing about using natural wood from the yard is that it invariably makes the whole cage presentation look softer and more natural - to my eye more attractive. If you choose to tie the branches in place with some bird-safe twine, although you risk having to retie them now and then, they will move in a semi-natural way as the bird steps or lands on them. I think that's nice, and it provides just a little enrichment for the bird, more exercise, however minimally, than a purely stationary perch.

I guess that's more than you thought you would get on the subject of bringing in wood from the yard! You can use wood from the fig we gets figs to eat from, Butterfly Bush (Buddleia), and common Lilac (Syringa, USA), as well as others. Google for choices.

Don't forget to hang one for a swing!
-MissK
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

We always have a "tree" inside our bird's cage along with other perches. The "tree" is a birdy safe btree branch with all of the foliage in-tact (until they demolish it and prune it). Mine don't show that much interest in foliage though, I'm not sure why. I believe most birds love it. However they did live it when I was given some Golden Pender - I need to find more of that - it was the one time they've vigorously destructed foliage.

Ellie.
ezncharlie

Post by ezncharlie »

I have an update! A good one too!

I've had the past week off work, which has given me the chance to bond with Charlie more than usual. It was great. For the first time since I've had her, Charlie is coming out of her cage herself, and even if she is in her cage, she'll jump straight on my finger as soon as I put my hand in! Her perch and our couch are about half a metre away from eachother, and a couple of times, she's jumped off the perch and onto the couch (where I'm sitting) to come and say hello :)

I also tried a few different fresh fruits with her. Turns out, fresh Paw Paw is her favourite. She goes crazy for it as soon as she see's it in my hand! Too bad half of it ends up all over the walls and floor! She also loves passionfruit, and all natural apple juice (can't keep her away if I have a glass of it in my hand).

She's a very chatty bird, she loves the sound of her own voice (so it seems), which I really don't mind because she seems happy chirping away and listening to all the birds outside :)

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you guys, as you have all helped me a lot over the past couple of weeks. So thankyou!

- Erin.
- Erin and Charlie!

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Great to hear. Well done Erin!

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Wonderful news Erin!!! Congrats on such great progress :D

ezncharlie

Post by ezncharlie »

Just wanted to share a photo of my gorgeous little Charlie :) I took this photo only a couple of days after I brought her home. Isn't she gorgeous!?

- Erin
- Erin and Charlie!

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Awwwww what a pretty girl. Love the pose :D

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Certainly, she is! Oh, and sorry I referred to her as a he in other posts - so used to my Charlie being a boy.

Ellie.
ezncharlie

Post by ezncharlie »

Isn't she just! She loves the camera, can you tell!? Haha :lol:

Oh that's okay Ellie, I don't actually know whether she's a boy or a girl, but I've just gotten used to calling her a she haha. I'm hoping to get a DNA test done soon :)
- Erin and Charlie!