where I put my IRN's cage

Moderator: Mods

BrendaDup

where I put my IRN's cage

Post by BrendaDup »

Hi ,I have a question , I got my female IRN a week go she has been a challenge because of her treatment before I got her but she is doing so well , my question is, I have her in my art room where I sometimes will do graphite drawings will it harm her to be in there ? I have not done anything since I got her and I only do a little at a time since I cant sit for long periods of time due to neck problems , but I wanted to check before I do sit down to draw? Thanks for any advice you can give me. Brenda
Skyes_crew

Re: where I put my IRN's cage

Post by Skyes_crew »

Is it the original graphite compound containing lead? If so, just to be cautious I would probably move her. The particles could suspend in the air and wind up in her cage and over time she would wind up with heavy metal poisoning. Not to mention if she were to get out of her cage and chomp on one. Always better to err on the side of caution :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

BrendaDup

Post by BrendaDup »

Hi This is what I finally found about the lead, and I only use Graphite. Anyway Thanks for giving me a response . Brenda

No, they are made of graphite. They have never been made of lead, meaning lead the metal. The two things have nothing in common.

Pencils in art stores are not made out of lead, and artists do not use lead to draw with. You can get solid graphite pencils and graphite sticks of assorted shapes.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

The reason I asked about the graphite compound containing lead was because back in the day artists used graphite pencils that were a compound of coal and lead. They have since stopped making them, but you can still buy them in some of the older supply shops. But if yours are lead free than you have nothing to worry about :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

BrendaDup

Post by BrendaDup »

Thanks , I really appreciate you for asking about the lead , I remember when I was about 11- 12 now I am 54 I was riding the bus and this boy stuck his pencil in to the side of my calf and the pencil lead broke off .. I was thinking just great I'm goanna die from lead poisoning .. :o until my mom said they no longer put lead in pencils . I still have that mark on my leg ,I think I was more worried about the graphite dust? But because of neck problems I have to do it slow , if I have to I will roll her cage to another room. Thanks again. Brenda
Melika

Post by Melika »

I bet you clean your art room sometimes, right? And birds are dirty, dusty, messy, etc. So you will be cleaning it more. I think your bird will be more dusty than the graphite! If you're keeping the area clean, I don't think there will be much problem.

Issues with graphite dust are usually in industrial applications, where there are very high concentrations of the dust that the person is exposed to and over a lot of time the person can develop respiratory illness.

As an artist, I am sure you already take precautions for dust (which is more a concern with charcoal anyway since it's much dustier) and everything will be fine. Just don't let her eat the graphite. :wink:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay