Skyes_crew

Re: Pellets

Post by Skyes_crew »

Ill sponsor your year in India if you sponsor my year in Australia :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Mel: sweet, so you can stay at my place for a year and look after his birdiness, I can go to India, now all we need is someone who wants to spend a year in Hawaii looking after your birds!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

The birdy exchange program :lol:

Wakizashi21

Post by Wakizashi21 »

Hi MissK,

Just needed to know in terms of sweet mash potatoes....would the baby food be okay? i know mine does like food when its shredded down or mashed.

Is something like this okay to feed a IRN? http://shelflifetastetest.com/?p=2252 (its just an example)

I want to be able to feed it fresh food often and keep him in good shape. although he doesnt try much of the kettle fish bone and the mineral blocks so i do offer some in his water which he drinks perfectly fine.

Also, i seeen a very cool Video on Youtube thought id share with all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ZBiAmMvZA
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Wakizashi,

Did you get a chance to read over the pellet discussion?

My initial feeling on baby food is "Why bother?", but I realize not everybody can get to the store often for fresh produce....... I guess if there were no, and I mean NO things in it other than the foods (no salt, sugar, colour, etc) then maybe it would be OK, but I think a lot of the nutrition is likely damaged by the canning process. Also, the jar holds more than the bird will eat in a meal or two, and there is the question of spoilage to address. And those little jars ain't cheap. I would not, personally, select baby food for my bird unless there were some outstanding situation I can't really imagine right now.

Most of the fresh foods your bird will be eating don't need to be cooked, anyway. If you need the texture changed to a mush, try a blender or one cup size food processor. I don't want to be the one to suggest you risk shorting out a coffee grinder, but they do a great job on small amounts of coffee beans.... Dry stuff would probably work there. For cooking to mush, the microwave is very convenient. For sweet potato, specifically, I put one through the microwave until it's soft almost every day. I love sweet potato, and with all the birds and dogs in the house, none goes to waste. If you cook it all the way, no need to mash, or if you want, it's so easy, just smoosh it. Now, strictly speaking, wild Ringnecks would have little access to sweet potatoes. But, on account of their nutrients and popularity, I serve them anyway.

Thanks for the video link. Maybe the flock will enjoy it tomorrow.

-MIssK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

If you're just looking to make a sweet potato mash treat, try the mash ball recipe. Boil sweet potatoes carrots and zucchini and mash all together. Mix in 1/4 cup of millet. Roll into balls and roll balls in whole oats. Refrigerate to firm up. That will feed one or two a day for a week. :)

Wakizashi21

Post by Wakizashi21 »

Ahhhh niceeee!!! thanks for the advice guys. yeah did manage to read all the information in this post and even though im trying to get my IRN used the taste of fresh food (by giving it everyday fresh - it adores apple) i feed only little bit of pellets. However, as missK said, im sure the main benefits arise from giving them fresh food just the way us humans would prefer ours.

I love that ball recipe. Ill be shopping for it today! lol! i think its just easier to give them the proper food so he eats with the whole family.

Even though my IRN makes soo much noise when im downstairs, (hes upstairs right next to my work desk), it be amazing to see him eat with the family and open up to everyone around him. patience is key right now :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Bring him into the area where people are eating now. Just in the same room, where he can watch people eating is good enough. It will help him feel part of the group and also may prompt him to eat things he otherwise would not try.

-MissK
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Dandelions.

I keep hearing how good they are for birds..

are these the same dandelions growing in my backyard... the ones that make the fuzzballs that little kids like to blow into the air?
Melika

Post by Melika »

Donovan wrote:Dandelions.

are these the same dandelions growing in my backyard... the ones that make the fuzzballs that little kids like to blow into the air?
How did this question end up in this topic? Anyway- yes. Dandelion greens are very edible by both you and your bird, but you don't want anything that grew beside a road or is in an area that was treated with pesticides because of pollution/toxicity.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

It came up because i did a search on dandelions and they were mentioned in this thread and I was trying to keep from creating a new thread where possible ... i should have used a quote
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I've seen wild galahs eating them on our front lawn. Our bird doesn't like them though
Donovan wrote:Dandelions.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

We have had an interesting development on the pellets front. Since Nila hasn't really touched roudybush for a few months I decided to buy vetafarm maintenance when the pellets were getting low. I mixed both brands together in the dish, for about a week and he pigged out on the vetafarm. They have become the pellets on offer now. After a few days ago I mixed some of the last roudybush in there and guess what Nilas favourite food is now? Yep, it's roudybush! The same roudybush he used to turn his nose up at, for a while I thought I was only paying for pellets to inspire him to eat the vegetables he dislikes! Give him a leaf of kale and he'd look at you distainfully, give him kale and a top up of roudybush at the same time and the kale would be devoured. ... Little monster!
Wakizashi21

Post by Wakizashi21 »

Haha to be honest some of the answers are overwhelming. But even though i do try and feed my Cheeko some veggies and fruit, it is still difficult to make him eat it. Hes a big fan of Apples and Bananas (i know too much fruit isnt too too good) but its still better then just giving seeds i suppose. i do try different things....and hes reluctant sometimes to try them....but i do try....does get alittle frustrating....but he loves his monkey nuts lol
MissK

Post by MissK »

I don't know what a monkey nut is. Would somebody please post me a link to it so I can see?

Wakizashi, if you can get your bird interested in at least one of the dark green leaf vegetables, it would be good. Spinach is not the one to choose, since it contains a compound you don't want to overdo. My birds all like kale, for some reason. Dandelion leaves are an old, old standby, from the generation before mine, or maybe even older. Kale is a stiff leaf, and Dandelion is kind of softer. For what it's worth, my birds like the stiffer leaves, and don't even want kale if it has gone wilted in the fridge.

Another thing you'll want to encourage with your bird is fruits and vegetables that are orange in colour. I find my birds all like Bell Peppers, though they don't want the skin. Recently I gave my IRN persimmon and he thought it was the best right away.

Good Luck!
-MissK
Wakizashi21

Post by Wakizashi21 »

Ah monkey nuts, http://www.valupets.com/pets/assorted-s ... 22031.html

THESE are mega expensive. But in the UK they are much better quality and cheaper too. Yeah i do try and feed him as much as i can. I will try Kale, I think my IRN would prefer something to chew on as food. I sometimes do give him some baby food. Like carrot and mash patato....is that okayish? its probably twice a month or so.

Im going to give Cheeko some oranges later on tomorrow. I hope he likes them. Gave him a shower after a while, so hes comfortably resting in his cage right now.

I do try my best to get him used to greens. its just mega hard sometimes. iv had him for nearly 9 months now, and i still feel hes alittle scared even now, but hes adjusting in slowly.
MissK

Post by MissK »

When I have trouble being patient, I just try to remind myself that the bird is, though born in captivity, a wild animal. And he's just a little birdie, at that. So, have patience. It's the only way to go.

Thanks for the link. (That's so funny - peanuts have nothing to do with monkeys OR nuts...) I expect an orange will be a big win. Personally, I would rather put regular food through a grinder than buy baby food for my bird. Try hanging the food or lashing it to the cage bars, for a more interesting approach.

Best wishes!
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

MissK wrote:I don't know what a monkey nut is. Would somebody please post me a link to it so I can see?

Wakizashi, if you can get your bird interested in at least one of the dark green leaf vegetables, it would be good. Spinach is not the one to choose, since it contains a compound you don't want to overdo. My birds all like kale, for some reason. Dandelion leaves are an old, old standby, from the generation before mine, or maybe even older. Kale is a stiff leaf, and Dandelion is kind of softer. For what it's worth, my birds like the stiffer leaves, and don't even want kale if it has gone wilted in the fridge.

Another thing you'll want to encourage with your bird is fruits and vegetables that are orange in colour. I find my birds all like Bell Peppers, though they don't want the skin. Recently I gave my IRN persimmon and he thought it was the best right away.

Good Luck!
Missk, :lol: :lol: I thought every person in the world knows that monkey nuts are peanuts! I think its called monkey nuts because monkeys love it.

Wakizashi, How about trying grass, just plain old normal grass. My birds love it and go crazy when I peg a bunch of long grass onto the the cage bars. Yesterday I left a bunch ontop of the cage while they were inside and they acted as if I gave them something new to chew and play with, pulling the strands through the bars. Just make sure your grass is pesticide free. I stuff grass in vine balls and hide treats inside then they spend plenty time pulling it out and looking for the treats. Here is a link for ideas:

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/an-easy- ... pet-birds/

Ash
MissK

Post by MissK »

I gave Rocky grass one time. I made a grass curtain I thought he would love and feel all jungly, maybe like to hide in it. Total Dud. But that was a long time ago, when he was still new here and not sure how to be a bird. Maybe I should try again.
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Yes, try again. When I put a bunch of grass on the top of the cage, Kiwi will be very busy until each and every strand has been pulled down, chewed and then dropped to the cage floor. Coco likes his bunch pegged on to the side of the cage next to a perch.

Ash
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It is a bit late in the day to renew this thread but l thought l would add that when l told the vet that l bought a bag of Harrion's pellets and Billie would not touch them for the 6 weeks l tried. The Vet said that it could take 9 months to get them onto pellets, it reminded me of the time l worked in a pet shop and we sold dog biscuit called Binzo once a dog was on it they would eat nothing else! So l was wondering whether vets get paid for recomending pellets. There was a dog food called Pedigree Chums and they gave free cans to every dog breeder in order to say if a dog won a competition that Chums had the winning formula!
I found the whole thread to be very interesting.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Missk, :lol: :lol: I thought every person in the world knows that monkey nuts are peanuts! I think its called monkey nuts because monkeys love it.

What about Tiger nuts?