IRN QUESTON

Moderator: Mods

viperex

IRN QUESTON

Post by viperex »

Ive had my ringneck 8 months old for a month now very tame and as he is in a very large cage was thinking about adding a second ringneck in the cage what you guys think ?
MissK

Re: IRN QUESTON

Post by MissK »

I had excellent luck combining two Budgies at a young age - they were likely much younger than 10 months, though. If you do, make haste 'cause your bird isn't getting any younger. I hope you get input from someone who has actually done it, but I would imagine that IF YOU WERE PREPARED TO HOUSE THE TWO SEPARATELY in the event it didn't work, you might as well give it a shot.

Just be SURE, absolutely SURE, you don't have two girls, AND think about 20 times before you combine a Male and Female. You don't need to be a GRANDparront. A compatible (key word compatible) pair can breed for well over a decade, maybe two. Do you really want to fight that fight several months out of every year? An incompatible pair will have to be housed separately anyway. Guess what I'm saying here is have two boys.

You should also consult a few breeders on their input, since they're the ones who have experience keeping many at a time. Cage size may need to be bigger than you think.

-MissK
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

I wouldn't relate budgies to IRNs in this case. IRNs are much more picky. I find budgies to be much more sociable birds and will retain tameness no matter what- at least in my experience with my aviary.

Like any parrot, they may or may not like the cage-mate you chose for them. They might get along until sexual maturity and then fight all the time. They might get along very well- to the point that they don't want you to handle them anymore. Any of these things can happen.

You have to decide: do you prefer having one tame ringneck? Are you willing to take the chance that you will lose your tame ringneck if it bonds to its cage-mate? Will you have the space, money, AND time to care for two ringnecks if they at some point cannot be housed together? If they do fight, will you be able to get proper veterinary care if needed (birds can seriously injure one another)?

Consider these things carefully and make your decision. We can't make it for you, we can just give you the tools to decide. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

I mentioned Budgies not so much regarding tameness as for how they will react to being put together after maturity. I wouldn't try it, myself. But yes, hands down, Budgies are not the same as Ringnecks.

:)

-MissK
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

MissK wrote:I mentioned Budgies not so much regarding tameness as for how they will react to being put together after maturity. I wouldn't try it, myself. But yes, hands down, Budgies are not the same as Ringnecks.

:)

-MissK
I apologise if I seemed to be critical of your comparison. Just wanted clarify and make sure the OP understood, in case they did not already, how different these species are. In fact, I thought a budgie a good opposite of what an IRN would do LOL! I've never had a budgie even care if a flock-mate was added. In fact, the only problem I ever had introducing a budgie to other budgies is the one that was so strongly bonded to me, he would rather spend time with me. I miss that little bird. :)

I wanted to add a little about IRNs for the original poster. viperex, your bird is only 8months old and will change a lot. This is your companion for the next 20+ years. BOTH of you will change a lot.

Individual personalities differ between IRNs, and that personality can change. Some may always like having a friend, some like having a friend as long as they don't have to share a cage, and some don't want anyone else around.

In my opinion (which means it is NOT fact and there are certainly exceptions), I believe that most IRNs will bond more strongly to another bird and not really care about humans anymore, if not losing tameness altogether.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Even with a large cage, I personally would not house a second ringneck together with your current one. For me personally I let my flock out to interact during the day , but they all have their own separate spaces to retreat to. :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Melika, maybe you should get another Budgie. You know you want to! :lol:
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

MissK just wants everyone to own lots of budgies so she herself can overcome the urge to go out and get another :wink: :D you know you want another. Rif raf needs another friend :wink:

MissK

Post by MissK »

:oops:

But Budgies are beautiful!

-MissK
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

I do love budgies. I've had a few rather great ones over the years. Sam lived to be over 13yrs old, but the rest died rather young of cancers. The only thing I don't miss is the 24/7 molt. Not that having a 'tiel is any better.

I told my husband some months ago that I missed having a budgie and he said "no new animals until something dies". So that's that.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Melika wrote:I told my husband some months ago that I missed having a budgie and he said "no new animals until something dies". So that's that.
Well he said when something dies. He didn't specify what though. :wink:

Melika

Post by Melika »

Skyes_crew wrote:
Melika wrote:I told my husband some months ago that I missed having a budgie and he said "no new animals until something dies". So that's that.
Well he said when something dies. He didn't specify what though. :wink:
Think the wolf spider counted? I was about to name it, that makes it a pet right? :lol:

Okay no more thread hijacking. I feel rude doing so.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Viperex, if you're still around and reading this thread, let me know and I can share my experience of having two IRNs together.

Ellie.