Sassafras and lilac

Moderator: Mods

ranechild

Sassafras and lilac

Post by ranechild »

Does anyone know whether I can put sassafras branches in with Fats and Camo? They smell nice and I need to chop down some invasive sapplings this weekend--might as well put them to use if I can.

While I'm at it--I've heard lilac branches are ok for the birds, but then I also understand the lilac branches mean different things to people on different continents. In North America, paritculary Northeast US, can I trim lilac bush branches for them?
MissK

Re: Sassafras and lilac

Post by MissK »

What kind of lilac are you pruning? If it's a nifty type, do you have suckers to share? I loooooove Lilacs.

Bird Channel says Lilac's OK. https://mail.google.com/mail/h/122mgap35vg4k/?&

This other site green lights both Lilac and Sassafras. https://mail.google.com/mail/h/122mgap35vg4k/?&

Incidentally, if you have Butterfly Bush, another strong pruning candidate, it's OK, too.

-MissK

PS: Anybody know the status of Actinidia aka hardy Kiwi aka chinese gooseberry? I'm looking to use the vines.
-MissK
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

I have the spring blooming smell pretty kind of lilac. I was thinking about sprouting some suckers for other parts of our yard... I'll save some for you.
Our neighbor has butterfly bush... I was thinking of asking if I could take some cuttings. If I get some I'll get some for you too :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hey-

I don't need any wood, just if there are free plants around, I could always use another lilac. :D I guess I could use a Butterfly Bush, too, but I'm going to get it from the store, so I can be sure to get one of the new miniatures. Running out of land, here!

Actually, I was thinking of you when I cut some bull vines off my grapes a day or two ago. I made a little swing hoop just because I could, and I figured your guys might like one......

Beautiful rainy day today.

-MissK
-MissK