Scared me to near death. I climbed a fence.

We love to hear daily stories, ringneck antics, and more ringneck antics!

Moderator: Mods

ranechild

Scared me to near death. I climbed a fence.

Post by ranechild »

I was cleaning up the kitchen this weekend and had to take some vegetable matter out to the compost heap. I had Fats on my shoulder and I didn't really want to have to go put him away and then go back and get him.... and his wings are clipped anyway...
He came outside with me and the first thing he did was flutter off my shoulder. It was ok, he just fell gracefully into a low shrub, and looked up at me seemingly to say "I am down here and I can't standup or fold my wings cause I'm stuck in this shrub, so you should come get me now." He seemed to cling to me pretty hard after I picked him up. We went to the compost pile I dumped the stuff (one handed because Fats would not let my other hand go).
We walked back to the house, but once I was back up the three stairs on the landing, Fats started flapping and I guess there was a breeze... He flew from the landing, over the four car wide driveway and over the neighbors' four foot high fence and landed in the neighbors yard.
I was aghast! Their yard is fenced in because they have 5 large dogs. I RAN. I climbed the fence. It took me two tries. All I could think about was whether those dogs were going to be let out at just that moment. They'd shred the bird. They'd shred me. I broke the fence a little as I climbed over (it was a little rotted). Fats was there, looking up at me with that same, "I am stuck because I landed in some weeds and you should come and pick me up now--hey why are you so frantic and worried?" look. I picked up Fats put him on the fence post facing our yard and went a little ways down to climb the fence since that side was lined with wire mesh and I had no where to put my feet to climb. In the meantime, he decided to jump off the fence post (luckily into our yard) and start walking around the driveway.
I picked him up, held him close to my chest, hand cupped over so he couldn't flutter and went into the house. We both seemed pretty tired after that.
Clipped wings or not, Fats is not going outside again. Not unless he's in a very well closed cage. Who'd have thought he could make it 50 feet with clipped wings!!

PS. Worst part: It kind of made me feel like he wanted to run away. Like he didn't want to be with me. Like if he had his choice, he'd be flyin all around and never see me again. Birds are wild things and I feel like I'm forcing him to be with me for my own amusement. ugh. taking him outside was a BAD IDEA!!!!!!
MissK

Re: Scared me to near death. I climbed a fence.

Post by MissK »

What a NIGHTMARE!

Let's look on the bright side. Today you learned something really important, and you'll never, ever forget it. Be glad it happened today, and not next month when he'll have better flying feathers. Give him a kiss for me.

Good job on the fence, by the way!

I'll have a shot of Patron for you. You should do the same.

-MissK
-MissK
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Shot of Patron? I'm thinking pitcher of Margaritas. We'll have to get together sometime :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Wow...what an experience!!! Glad he's safe and sound now. I held my breath through that whole story. I feel I need a shot as well now. :wink:
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

JConvry

Post by JConvry »

Geez, you got lucky!

The same thing happened to me a while back.

Jones was young, and his wings had been clipped so far back from the shop that it took close to a year for him to grow anything respectable back.

Long story short, I took him outside on my shoulder to take the trash out. Something spooked him and he flew (on a breeze just like Fats), about 100 feet. Across the street, across the neighbor's yard, over a fence, into private property, to the top of a tree surrounded by underbrush with poison ivy/thorns/you name it.

Ignoring my wacky neighbor's multitude of "No Trespassing - Violators will be prosecuted" signs, I
jumped up the fence, jumped into the stickers (ouch), climbed the tree (more ouches), grabbed him, and made my way back down with him cowering into my chest.

I also felt like he wanted to escape for a while. However, I think that ringnecks have a wilder side to them and when they feel that breeze under them, they just flap and go. I don't think it's personal. :)

Glad your baby is ok!

Jason
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Thanks Jason.
You had it much worse than I did!!!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Guys, don't feel like they want to leave you. When they fly like that, they're not running FROM you, but TO something new and exciting.

BTW, I now have my own creature-at-large story, though a lot tamer, I admit. A few nights ago I was up super late, minding a roast. Finally it was done, I got my shower, and (wrapped in a big towel) let the dogs out for final pee of the night. I have a 3 foot wire fence around the patio and a real fence around the yard. There on my patio, in the middle of the night, Little Miss Barky went over the first fence after a cat. I went over the fence after her - it suffered greatly. I caught my little rascal by the tail and hauled her inside, her to her bed, and me back into the shower. :lol:

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

We should compile all of our stories and submit them for a new book series. You can't make this stuff up :lol:
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Tinus

Post by Tinus »

Similar thing happened to me, i had both my boys on my shoulder and took a walk outside with them, decided to take the garbage out while i was heading outside, as i dumped the trash Paulie got a fright and fluttered off right across the street and landed closed to the pavement, then the moment HE flew off Chico got a fright and flew off in the OTHER direction, I almost got a heart attack not knowing which one to run too first, instinctively i grabbed Chico first (he was the closest), tucked him in beneath my shirt and ran like a maniac to get Paulie, i got both and headed right back inside!

Just imagining what could have happened still scared the crap outa me, i mean i reaLly love these birds, there are loads of cats in the area, a car could have come by and hit or ran over one of them.. so many things, i couldnt sleep that night yet at the same time i was so relieved and thankfull and just thanked God that they are both fine.

Luckily! i only ever go outside with them like 5:30am sunday mornings, so it was pretty quiet, still, so thankfull..
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

They belive the grass is greener on the other side of the fence and it is only instinct that spurs them on to do a runner, l worked in a pet shop years ago and they had a resident Macaw no one knew when he last flew and although his wings were not clipped every body thought he was too heavy to fly.
He would sit on my shoulder and l would take him down to the front of the shop so he could see the outside world but an old lady told me that she used to be the manager of the shop years ago and she would take Charlie everywhere on her shoulder until one day he flew off, he was sitting on a tall building on the other side of the street all day she called him and he just sat there then she enticed him down with half a pomerganite. I never took him to the front of the shop again.
But it is a lesson we need to remember given half a chance they will fly off but then they cannot find their way back again.
It would be good to train them to come to you when you call over short distances but getting longer.
AJPeter