my baby ringneck is 10 weeks old and still wants formula

Moderator: Mods

Cormacity

my baby ringneck is 10 weeks old and still wants formula

Post by Cormacity »

hi to all
my baby ringneck is 10 weeks old and still wants formula twice a day he nibbles of food like millet, sunflower mix and some apples but i normally see him play with the food not eat , i usually find some cracked oped sunflower seeds only and i sometimes soak some pellets for him to try but he always drops his food is this normal for a 10 week old irn ?

thanks luke
Skyes_crew

Re: my baby ringneck is 10 weeks old and still wants formula

Post by Skyes_crew »

There is no magic switch to throw at 10 weeks that automatically weans your bird. You are responsible for helping him wean. In the wild, parent birds teach their chicks how to forage and eat. You must do the same. I take it you never introduced him to cooked veggies or eating from a spoon? How about mixing his formula with the veggies like I suggested? You can not force wean a bird. They have to be weaned properly. This is one of the reasons I am against inexperienced people hand feeding. I'm sorry if I'm hurting your feelings. This is not only directed at you. But to all the people who come on here and ask the same questions over and over. Ask yourselves before you get a bird if you are qualified and confident enough to wean a bird. Have you learned enough through your breeder and your vet and through reading to properly feed and care for an unweaned bird. Are you prepared for emergencies? I just had a girl ask about weaning just the other day. She then PM'd me to tell me she left the bird in a container on the floor and her dog ate it. These are living breathing creatures that you're playing with. They deserve the best care that we can offer them. Sorry for the rant but I am way beyond frustrated.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Melika

Re: my baby ringneck is 10 weeks old and still wants formula

Post by Melika »

Perhaps this topic will help. There are some links within it as well that you should read, and a section at the bottom about weaning. Hope it helps!

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=799
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay