Mystery hen

Moderator: Mods

Kappa

Mystery hen

Post by Kappa »

Hi everyone,
This is a hen I bought 3mths ago. She is 10 months old now. All I can tell you is what I saw and was told by the breeder. I went there to look at another bird, but was curious when I saw her. The breeder told me it was a green/yellow (His words). Clearly that's not the case.

The father was a grey green and the mother was a cinnamon green. They had a clutch of 4 chicks. Three grey green and one green. My immediate thoughts were Dom. pied, but none of the parents were pied. A closer look of the cock and another nestmate showed a colour variation. They had yellowish, even mustard like patches on their shoulders. That's it, no other pied effect. The breeder had no other genetic history of the parents.

I purchased the bird as a result of curiosity and as a rescue, because it was in a over crowded aviary. She was thin and as you can see in poor feather condition. I had her quarantined for 2 months, and treated her for all parasites. My friend, a breeder mentioned liver disease as a possibility for the way she looks. However, at that young age I didn't believe this to be a factor.

She has put on weight and has a good appetite, being on a better diet and is very active. She shows no signs of any illness.

I have never owned pieds and only seen a few, it wasn't the direction i would have considered in my breeding program. However, i took a punt on her to see what she could be. So I am wondering if she fits the characteristics of a dom. pied. I picked her up for the price of a wild type green, so i dont have much invested in her, but am curious to see what happens when she molts at the end of summer. it will be interesting to see if she retains this pied effect.

Sorry about the poor quality of the photos, should have made them smaller.

Any thoughts would be welcome.
Cheers Kappa.

Imageimg]

[URL=http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Kappa ... d.jpg.html]Image

Ring0Neck

Re: Mystery hen

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Kappa,

It could be due to illness/diet but i am not certain, hopefully others can analize that possibility.

Wing spread photo would be nice.

In the event that your bird is healthy and pehnotype is due to a mutation or more.
I'm thinking of cinnamon sl edged or Rec. Pied.

Your bird is not Dom. Pied, look at its head, it's normal wildtype which excludes harlequin pied.

If your bird is a pied then:
It could be other type of dom pied but looking at the pattern i'm assuming a recessive pied.
If recessive pied, you should try to purchase the father and pair them up, this way you can breed the recessive mutation this season.

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Back in 07
I bought a hen similar looking to yours. I also got the 2 young (normal greens) young that she had the previous year.
Laid eggs but all clear.
I sold off the family to another breeder not sure what happened in the end.
Conclusion: My hen was most likely an acquired modification not a mutation, definately not a dominant mutation.
She was not ill either.

Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Ben,
That thought has crossed my mind also. That she may just be a modification, or that the pied effect will disappear with the next molt and she will just end up being a normal green. I will breed with her just in case it is a mutation, and determine if it is dominant or recessive.
The breeder no longer has the pair he breed her from, so if is recessive I will have to do the work myself by breeding some splits.
madas

Post by madas »

Kappa wrote: I purchased the bird as a result of curiosity and as a rescue, because it was in a over crowded aviary. She was thin and as you can see in poor feather condition. I had her quarantined for 2 months, and treated her for all parasites. My friend, a breeder mentioned liver disease as a possibility for the way she looks. However, at that young age I didn't believe this to be a factor.
the quarantine isn't only necessary for treating all kinds of parasites. You have to take feather samples and test them for PBFD and other Virus infections.
Have you done these tests? Piedness is one possible sign of an infection with PBFD. Even more if the bird Shows poor feather quality and is out of a over crowed aviary.
You have risk your whole stock of birds. :(

So take back the bird to quaratine and do the tests. And at least test all the birds which was in near of it.

madas
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Madas, I agree.
Jayjess2013

Post by Jayjess2013 »

shes pretty but looks so shaggy- I think she is a pied of some kind
Jay, jess and 4 mischevious Budgerigars

Jayjess2013