I found this new mix on my adventure today

Moderator: Mods

Ben.G

I found this new mix on my adventure today

Post by Ben.G »

This is the new mix I found today available in a 15kg bag

Would you consider this a complete stable diet for my flock?
photo pending 8)
Skyes_crew

Re: I found this new mix on my adventure today

Post by Skyes_crew »

Pic for Ben

I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I would pull the sunflower, the peanuts and any other nuts, and I would add fresh fruits and veggies. More veggies than fruits. Looks yummy though :)

Ben.G

Post by Ben.G »

Seeing that it is winter here in Aussie land and where I live the temp gets below 0'C.
I thought that they would need the oils?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Not sure about that. I keep indoor birds. I also live in Hawaii where the coldest it gets in the winter is 55'F :roll: try posting in the breeder forum and ask about outdoor winter diet. :)

Ben.G

Post by Ben.G »

Ben.G wrote:Seeing that it is winter here in Aussie land and where I live the temp gets below 0'C.
I thought that they would need the oils?
Anyone in Australia have any thoughts on this mix?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Ben

I'm biased, in that i don't us seed mixes. I feed pellets, a chop mix containing grains and veges, other fresh veges and treat foods (fruits, seeds, nuts). I'd be more inclined to use that for treats.

The teaching I have received about seed mixes are that they are too high in fats and that pellets are formulated to give a more balanced diet.

However, my birds live indoors as pets and I'm trying to minimise breeding behaviours, so you have a different situation to me.

Looking at the mix, I'd also be taking the banana chips out to use as treats. When I did feed my birds seed, I would give them budgie seed one day and pellets the next.

Other breeders might be able to advise better.

Ellie.

P.S. I notice you have several females in one aviary. Some people have reported females getting quite violent in this situation during breeding season. I've heard of one female killing all of the other birds in the aviary, so monitor carefully and often. Generally with ringies I think a breeding pair get their own flight. Best wishes.
Ben.G

Post by Ben.G »

Thanks for the input Ellie,

I am feeding this mix to Aviary birds, giving them fresh fruit and veg every 2nd day. From experience with other birds I have had the oils/fat from the seeds help to keep them warm in winter.

As for Luna the girl I keep inside, she gets fruit and veg every day and She gets a "small parrot mix" It is the same as a budgies but with some millet and sunflower seeds. I was going to use it as a treat for her :)

I did ask for pellets but no one around here stocks it, I am waiting for them to get back to me with a price :roll: .
Melika

Post by Melika »

The real concern is if they were only/mostly eating sunflower seeds. So I would not view this seed mix (or any seed mix) as a complete diet. Unlike some other species of parrot, seed doesn't make up the majority of a wild IRN's diet.

Adding extra sunflower through the winter would be fine, I would view this mix as a 'treat' and offer only so much per day ensuring your birds are getting additional nutrients by eating other foods.

Also serving warm foods is appreciated by Hane in the winter, such as his sweet-potato mash in the chilly mornings.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay