feeding... and a junkie for sunflowers!

Moderator: Mods

kanundra

feeding... and a junkie for sunflowers!

Post by kanundra »

Okay, so we've had Bobby 5 weeks on wed.

He was on a shop bought parrot mix which we copied when he first arrived. I learned in the first week that he wasn't allowed too many sunflower seeds so I removed most of these from the mix. I was giving grapes and then started with other fruits and veggies and now he's eating much more of those, although his poop does go a little looser when he's been eating them.

However the seed mix he's on I'm almost sure isn't great. So we visited a great shop over the weekend where they breed all different kinds of parrots. And we bought some of their pelleted food and some (can't remember the name and didn't keep the bag) supposed to be brilliant for plumage.

However in mixing a few in with Bobby's mix, he eats it all, pretty much just picks out some of the funny star shaped red ones and chucks them on the floor.

But what I've found is after his veggie mix, he goes back in for seeds. And has a tid bit of a paddy throwing food everywhere! I'm sure if he could get the bowl out. (It's a locking bowl so can't move) he'd have it all on the floor.

I totally ignore him, don't even look at him when he's doing this. But its frustrating....

I just know he's looking for those sunflower seeds! and he's not having as many any more. He does after a little paddy start to eat some of the food in there but not until he's played with it all.

Is this the signs of a sunflower junkie?
Dean0

Re: feeding... and a junkie for sunflowers!

Post by Dean0 »

Let him have one a day in a foraging toy along with other goodies. Mix it up to make him work for it.
Just another bird brain
Skyes_crew

Re: feeding... and a junkie for sunflowers!

Post by Skyes_crew »

Sunflower junkie :lol:

He could be showing his displeasure or he could just be foraging. My birds throw all their food around. Messy creatures :wink:

Set up foraging options for him. Add wood beads to his seed bowl to make it harder to be so picky. Cut back on the fruits and add more chunky veggies on a skewer or wrapped in paper. Do a search within the forum for foraging for plenty of ideas.

He sounds like a normal IRN to me :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D