I know--it's not a ringneck, but OMG!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

ranechild

I know--it's not a ringneck, but OMG!

Post by ranechild »

I went to an avian club in Arizona early this year when I was passing through. The presentation that month was on the budgerigar. The presenter mentioned that the Guiness Book of World Records has a Budgie recorded as the bird with the most words.

Well, I can now imagine why. Listen to this little guy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTnVvAb3BRk

I looked up the record...
The bird with the largest vocabulary is a budgerigar, Oskar, owned by Gabriela Danisch of Bad Oeynhausen, Germany, who knows and can say 148 words as ascertained on 8 Sep 2010.
ranechild

Re: I know--it's not a ringneck, but OMG!

Post by ranechild »

And I just parsed Disco's list of phrases on Facebook... I count over 160 words. I even dis-counted different tenses of the same word. I did not discount the same word in other languages.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's awesome. So cute too.

I want a cage that big for our bird, lucky budgie!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Disco is awesome!!! I had " I can haz cheeseburger" stuck in my head for days lol
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Redzone

Post by Redzone »

Ye gods he's good! And he appears to have quite the personality too hahaha
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I played this to Janey & Charlie this afternoon. They went absolutely crazy! Thanks for sharing it.

Ellie.
Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

My first bird was a budgie, and he had an incredible vocabulary too! He'd just sit there for hours on end running through his repertoire, mixing up words and syllables and keeping everyone laughing. I love budgies - they're not be underestimated!

Ellie, Bug goes crazy when I play bird videos on YouTube too. He'll start by trying to find the bird in the laptop, and then he'll start squawking like mad. I bought one of Barbara Heidenreich's 'Train Your Parrot to Talk' DVDs a while back, because it had recordings of different parrots talking which I thought might inspire Bug (not really much of a talker), but he squawked so much I had to stop playing it! I wonder whether anyone has had any success with using recordings of other birds to encourage talking?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I don't know about success of talking....but in one of marnies videos he has Mr. pretty bird on the kitchen counter with him whistling. My tiel heard it once, or maybe twice :wink: and now he does it too :lol:
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

I love Mr. Pretty Bird :)
I have been saying "I can haz cheeseburger" all day. And "Nobody put baby bird in a corner" :)
Our quaker Camo heard me watching Disco and had to fly over to me to see what was going on. About 10 seconds after he got over to me and the laptop, he got VERY fiesty. Bitey and disorderly. I guess he is jealous of how great a talker Disco is :) (Camo doesn't say words other than Peek-a-boo)