Things I can feed to my 2-3month old indian ringneck

Moderator: Mods

mcgeet

Things I can feed to my 2-3month old indian ringneck

Post by mcgeet »

I just completed one of my goals by letting my IRN eat by itself now...
A new one comes! I only wanted to know what foods are safe for a 2 month old IRN to feed.
Can i feed him some crackers? Or perhaps cereals that are made from whole grain? I would also want to know if i can feed peanuts to him or peanut kisses(made of peanuts,sugar cane,egg whites & vanila). But most important among all these questions is it safe to feed all this food and other food ive read about in this forum to a 2-3 month old albinoIRN!!!
Would appreciate all the help and effort you guys can give! Give your own suggestions and advices or even recipes that my IRN might like!!! :D
MissK

Re: Things I can feed to my 2-3month old indian ringneck

Post by MissK »

I may be a purist, but I would advise you skip things prepared for humans (like peanut candies) unless they are of the "natural" type. So, oatmeal made of nothing but oats, salad without salad dressing, puffed grain cereal without added sugar or salt, etc. Natural sugar is still sugar, so skip that as well.

There are so many things to feed fresh, you need not go to the extra effort or expense of buying or making prepared foods. Take a look at some of the many "bad foods" lists so you will know what not to feed him.

Some healthy and good suggestions would be: dandelion leaf, kale, peppers, carrot, organic apple, pear, banana, kiwi, mango, sprouts, strawberry, blackberry, grains. Orange vegetables provide Vitamin A, which is essential, so don't forget those! And, as always, everything in moderation. Variety is the spice of life! On that note, pecans and certain other nuts are great, but give them sparingly so your bird's health doesn't suffer.

Have fun feeding your bird, and don't forget those foods are good for you, too! I certainly eat more kale now since I have the bird, and it's much better than I remembered.

-MissK
-MissK
willagayedachs

Post by willagayedachs »

I always tell people that I eat healthier when I have a bird. LOL Because I tend to feed them from my plate. I use minimal oil cooking; no salt or sugar; and don't overcook. That way I can share my dinner with the baby. Brown rice rather than white. Fresh salads with no dressing. 7 grain cereal cooked for breakfast, no butter or sugar for the bird! Plus I keep a balanced pellet available with fresh water all the time. I am sure this forum must have some recipes and suggestions posted already but I do like to 'share' with my birds.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

You may find that your bird grows into certain foods, Sanjay was suspicious of fresh fruit and veggies when he was 8 weeks old, but I persevered and kept offering them, now he adores all fresh foods, I never give him sweet or salty, the only human food he has are egg and chicken, and vegetarian cheese, and then only once in a blue moon, at the moment he is moulting heavily, and his appetite is huge. I give him Feather Up supplement when he moults, just in case he is not getting all his vits and minerals from his diet.