I need help and tips on my Albino IRN

Moderator: Mods

mcgeet

I need help and tips on my Albino IRN

Post by mcgeet »

Good morning/evening

Just need help & tips on how to handfeed my 2 month old albino ringneck (named april).
I wanted to find out on how to know if he/she is hungry and full. I dont want to over feed april
or starve him/her.
I just use a spoon in hand feeding using the zupreem food mixed with water. Would it be better to use
a spoon or a syringe?
I would also be glad if you guys could teach me how to train april to eat on his/her own.(most important qustion please
help!!!)

Another 2 things how can I identify whether he/she is a male/female???
And the other thing is regarding his/her feathers a black stain like is in his/her feathers a breeder told me (the one who Ibought april from) said its a pied thing.

Would appreciate all efforts and help thanks!!! :D
Fidgit_Green

Re: I need help and tips on my Albino IRN

Post by Fidgit_Green »

hi there, i am curious of a couple things.

firstly did you not do any research on hand feeding before you chose to get your bird?
also, did you ask the breeder these question? because from what i understand, a breeder that is breeding out of love and not just money would have made a point of making sure they let you know these things for their own piece of mind.
the breeder i got my irn from went through all of that in great detail whether i already knew it or not.
which i had done a fair bit to research before hand.

i dont ask these things out of judgement, purely out of curiosity.

and to get the information that you need from this site you can use the search option to find what you need from past posts as this forum has been here for a few years so these questions have most likely been answer already several times before.

i am only a new irn owner but i would be willing to help you anyway that i can.
i got my irn at 5 days old and hand raised him who is now 6 months old.

Cheers
Paul
mcgeet

Post by mcgeet »

Well the breeder provided me with plenty info just wanted more of it
But thankfully i have solved my problems by giving it a piece of apple!!!
Its awesome watching it nibble and peck its first food!
But a new question has arised! Every time i would let him/her out of the cage he/she gets sleepy.
Really just worried and i also wanted to know if it is safe to feed him apples at 2 or more months of age.
My mother worries that i am rushing him/her to fast but from what i observed he dosent like zupreem hand feed formula mixed with water but really like apples he/she just really munches it up!
Still the sleeping when out of the cage and when feeding apples is kind of funny he/she just suddenly stops and slowly closes his/her eyes
Fidgit_Green

Post by Fidgit_Green »

well from what i figured out from raising Fidgit is that when he is ready for something it will be pretty apparent and if he wasnt then you would know.
i also went from feeding formula to trying out apple and found that he loved it like yours does, i also figured out that he was ready to be wean by him not wanting me to feed him anymore. (i used a syringe to feed him). i ended up putting some formula in a dish for him to eat on his own and he was happy to eat i on his own than to have me feed him.

what i did was started giving him some fruit and veggies to eat on his own, but i also kept trying to give him some formula until i was happy that he was eating on his own properly and eating enough for himself.
if he wouldnt take much formula i would just give him that little bit but several times a day so that i knew he was getting a decent amount in one day.

i suggest that you dont feed your bird just apple though, try it out on a few other fruits and some vegetables, start with the apple because he likes it and just add a little of different things to see what he likes and to give him the variety of nutrients that he will need from all the different fruit and veggies.

but dont just take my advise alone, make sure you do some more research on it so you can make a decision that you feels suits you and your bird best.

but like i said, i am happy to let you know my experience if it may help you in anyway.

Cheers
Paul