Is an IRN right for me?

Moderator: Mods

HockeyyGirlyy

Is an IRN right for me?

Post by HockeyyGirlyy »

I am an avid animal lover. You name it, I love it. I have found that I am especially of birds. I have had a cockatiel for quite a while now as a relatively new bird owner, and I am considering possibly adopting another bird since I was so successful with my cockatiel. I have started some basic research on the IRN and I think that one may make a fun companion for myself and my family. I have two younger siblings both around the age of 9, as well as a small terrier dog. My house constantly has visitors and friends over(as I am in my young teenage years) and there is always something going on. I would enjoy a bird that is willing to sit on my shoulder for hours a day, but will also be fine if I leave it in its cage for school hours each morning. I was also concerned about wether or not an IRN would get along with my current cockatiel, as he is here to stay. I am looking for a bird that will be a pleasure to train, not necessarily a challenge but a step up from my cockatiel, who whistles, talks, is perfectly hand tamed for me, flies to me on call, etc. I am willing to hear as much feedback as possible as to wether or not I should consider an IRN.
-DD
MissK

Re: Is an IRN right for me?

Post by MissK »

Hi, and welcome. I can give you some thoughts based on observations of my own IRN, but keep in mind he is just one bird of many.

Like yourself, I am away from the house for hours each day. My IRN is quite independent and appears to have no trouble with this at all. During my research period, I read that the IRN is happy to live as an aviary bird, and for my particular animal I believe this is true. I also got advice that one cannot keep an IRN tame if one is away from the house long enough to hold a job (or go to school). I can state with certainty that last bit of advice was hogwash. **Perhaps it could be different for a hand raised bird that was never taught independent play, but as mine was a mature individual when I got him, I cannot speak to that.** I would counsel you that attending school or holding a job is no impediment to keeping an IRN. In fact, it is my opinion that the independent nature of the IRN makes this bird quite suitable for people who are not constantly available to it.

I believe it is up to any two birds involved to decide if they will be companionable or antagonistic. My IRN generally seems friendly towards other birds, but I have never let them loose together. My other birds are much smaller, and I am perhaps a bit overprotective. The female IRN is said to be likely to not tolerate another female IRN, at least in breeding season.

I do not allow my bird on my shoulder. He bit my ear once and will not be getting a second chance. I do not think, however, that my IRN would be content on the shoulder for long. He is very active, and sitting around in one place is not at all his style. If having a calm shoulder bird is something you really want, I would hesitate to recommend the IRN. I believe a different bird would be a better choice for shoulder bird for hours.

I totally believe the IRN is a very smart bird and can learn anything you can teach. If you are looking for a bird who will present ongoing opportunity for training, the IRN is a good choice. As you have no doubt learned from working with your cockatiel, you do have to do the work to get the results. An IRN may be stubborn in training areas where it is not confident or has fear. If not desensitized to hands when babies, they are notoriously uncomfortable with human hands, but I believe in average cases this can be overcome. You will have an advantage with your trained cockatiel as an IRN would certainly learn from the other bird.

Some other thoughts on the IRN are these:

While not as loud as some birds, the IRN can choose to be quite loud. One member of my family doesn't find mine to be overly loud, and another must place his hands over his ears when the bird is noisy. You and your family should visit a breeder and see and hear the birds in a noisy environment in order to make an informed evaluation of the noise level. It is also quite true that the habits of every individual bird are different. My bird is fairly quiet. Some other people report their birds are loud and make noise frequently. The noise level should be considered in your long-range plans. It is doubtful, for instance, that you will be able to live at school with an IRN when you are in college.

Another consideration must be the lifespan of the IRN. Like your cockatiel, an IRN may be with you for quite some time - 20 or 30 years or so. While this is still a smaller sized bird, it certainly is a "step up" from cockatiel. It will always need mental stimulation and a cage of at least a certain size. Its needs will not diminish as your own life expands and fills with time-consuming activities. If the lifespan is longer than you can commit, you might consider a second hand bird. My bird was already ten when I got him, and he came from a house where there was a heavy smoker and he ate a bad diet. I feel he will probably be with me another ten years. If he makes it twenty more years, I will consider it a gift. I was not willing to take on a bird who would likely live thirty more years. In taking a second hand bird, I was able to have my IRN and (probably) not be obliged to keep it longer than I was willing.

The IRN also should have a broad diet, including fresh produce. It will need this every day, no matter how you overslept or stayed out all night or drank too much beer or forgot to shop or just got tired of it. You may be used to this now, with your 'tiel, but in a few years you may experience some of the above mentioned challenges. Be prepared.

I am, perhaps, biased in favour of the IRN. I did my research, and considered it for an entire year. I made a sound choice, for me, and because of that every morning when I greet my bird it feels just a little bit like Christmas. For me, he is very easy to keep, and a joy to have around. I like the noisy noise he makes because I can see it is his happy noise, and I love to see him pleased. I don't mind cleaning the big cage or preparing the food. I do have so many birds that I use a little bar cart to drive the food, dishes, and toys between the storage area, the cages, and the cleaning area. I have more dedication to my pets than most of my non-IRN-keeping friends. Of special note, I am an adult with my own "single family" house, and I make my own rules. There is nobody else I have to consider when I bring home a loud, messy animal.

I'm glad you are doing your research, and hope I have given you some helpful thoughts. I would not want to push my own agenda upon you, but I would like to point out that if you take on a second hand bird, you will be able to tell right away what you have. This is to say, if you must have a bird that talks, get one that talks already. If you must have one you can handle, get one that can already be handled. If you cannot tolerate a screamer, see the bird in its home for a while (not screaming) before you take it. If you take a second hand bird, make sure you see it doing the behaviour you desire before you take it. All birds have potential, but that potential is not realized in all birds.

I wish you the very best.
-MissK
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Very comprehensive, MissK. Thank you. I think that is worthy of a sticky post!

I would agree with MissK's sentiments. My birds are also far too active to want to sit on my shoulder for too long. They often fly to my shoulder but fly off when they're bored or bite/nibble my ear for some excitement (ouch!).

I'd also add that they are extremely messy, so you need to be prepared for that (as does your family).

Some females can also exhibit strong nesting behaviours as adults. At the moment, my girl is trying to nest in any cupboard or drawer we open up. Nesting behaviours can also cause aggression.

Ellie.
Fidgit_Green

Post by Fidgit_Green »

hello there,
i would just like to add from my own experience (which isnt much at all), i have my first irn that is only 6 months old.
i had the same thoughts about a ringneck when i decided i wanted to get one.
i got Fidgit at 5 days old and hand raised him, and i have to say that i got great feeling of accomplishment from raising my own. although i did have the time to do the feeding every 4 hours which would have to be a consideration.

my bird is happy to sit on my shoulder for long periods, but he does have his wings clipped so he cant just fly off (not that it stops him jumping off if he wants to).
i started putting him on my shoulder from the moment i felt that he was able to sit there with any worry of him falling off.
although he will sit there happily, he is sometimes quite restless and it depends on the mood he is in as to how long he is happy to sit there.
but i have had days that he has happily stayed there for a good few hours.

with wanting to get a irn i knew that i had to feed him well and that i would have to keep him stimulated with alot of different toys and activities though out his life, but one thing i wasnt quite ready for was the extra time and effort it took for keeping him in check and making sure he doesnt get into to much mischief, but again like missk said, that is just what one bird is like.

as much as i love animals and will rescue an animal if i am in a situation that i need to, i personally prefer to have a pet from birth as i myself bond with them better when i raise them myself.
but thats just me, and i just thought i would let you know my experience with a irn as a fresh point of view from someone that is still learning and experiencing what it means to be owned by a ringneck.

anyway, i wish you the best of luck in your decision and hope you find what is best to suit you.

Cheers
HockeyyGirlyy

Post by HockeyyGirlyy »

Thanks so much everyone, I found all of your advice to be very helpful, but I have one more question. I have a young schnauzer poodle dog who pokes his nose into everything he can find, if he was to come into contact with an IRN what do you think would be its reaction? My dog has not a single mean bone in his body, but I know that my cockatiel has had a few previous issues about not trying to rip my dog to shreds! That was worked out in time and I now keep the two separate, but will I possibly encounter something similar in an IRN?

-DD
MissK

Post by MissK »

Thank you, ellie.

As far as a bird and a dog, again, I believe it is up to the individuals.

It can work. We have a member here who has posted a photo of the IRN riding on the back of the dog, Labrador, I think. That bird is clearly very cool with the dog.

My bird, on the other hand, will lunge at my dog's nose if she brings it in striking range of the cage. He is afraid of the dog, though she has never shown him predatory aggression. She's just looking for spilled food. Because I am so protective, I do not ever plan to mix these animals in my home. One of my dogs hunts and the other is like Jaws (the movie shark) on feathery cat toys. Both are large enough to finish the bird in one bite. As well, I am in no hurry to allow my dogs to suffer an IRN bite. Having received a few of those, myself, I would save my precious pups from it, and myself from the vet bill.

It is my overall impression that dogs in general are quicker to attack a quick moving target (like a parakeet) over a slower moving target (like a Grey parrot). However, some dogs are overachievers and will try to kill anything they can. Others have no hunting instinct left at all. If you do mix a dog and a bird I would urge you to keep the bird fully flighted, as you have done with your cockatiel. You absolutely cannot blame a dog for hunting a bird, or a bird for defending itself - it's just Nature.

Best wishes,
-MissK
-MissK