pellets and stool

Moderator: Mods

Davo84

pellets and stool

Post by Davo84 »

Hi there!
Skyler our ringneck started eating pellets, from a seed only diet.

20% pellets 80%sseds the first day and 50-50% the second (yesterday) ,he is eating them very well only yesterday left some powder in the bowl.
This morning I noticed that in his sleeping corner (he sleeps hanging from the sides of the cage) there was a lot of stool mostly dark in color (with the usual white) while before was a shade of green.
Is that normal? Should I slow down the pellets?

Worried dad
JimHcctx

Re: pellets and stool

Post by JimHcctx »

Colored Pellets will change stool color. The key will be to see if he eats them, if he is eating, he should be fine. I would still give some seed for a treat, but for the first few weeks blaze forward to pellets and get him eating well. If you really want to worry, give him some beats, it comes out blood red!

If he is not acting right and something looks just wrong, then back off. If his feathers are wet like he is drooling, he may be alergic to the pellets and uncontrollaby regirgitating them to get them out of his system. If this is the case, it might just be the dye in colored pellets and it does effect a very small percentage of the bird population.
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!