wing cliping

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

fifi and olive

wing cliping

Post by fifi and olive »

peoples oppinions on taming aviary birds so there not scared in to hurting them selfs? should i get the wings clipped to help this process? thanks olive fifi and sarah
MissK

Re: wing cliping

Post by MissK »

Hi Sarah,

My opinion is that many posts have been made on taming. You should read them. You should pin down what is so frightening to the birds that it causes them to hurt themselves, and slowly desensitize them to that thing. Examine the way they are being hurt and find a way to prevent it. I would advise you to think well on exactly what you wish to gain through wing clipping, and how you expect it to logically achieve that goal.

If you are able to analyze the situation and present specific problems it would be easier to help you through your difficulty.

For instance, you might tell me your bird lives in a cage 24 inches square and flails his wings against the bars when you reach in to give him food. I would then be able to advise you that the cage is so small it affords no room for the bird to escape to a comfortable distance, and so it must panic and try to get through the impassable bars. I could suggest you let the bird out of the cage for service or change to a much larger cage to provide the bird a comfort zone of personal space.

Please help us to help you. I'm sure that everyone here is interested in your success, as I am.
-MissK
-MissK
fifi and olive

Post by fifi and olive »

Thank you I will have another read through the posts. And nope there in a huge cage and are always out free apart from bed time. But they don't just go in always for bed I have to catch them and this is when the panicking starts, and it really scares me they will fly into a wall or fall and get hurt. So I thought if I got them clipped just once to build a bond and then let there wings grow back, hopefully in that period I will have gained trust and my babies will step up and can be happily put away at bed time, the only things stopping me are I love how beautiful they are when flying and I don't want it to upset the birds thanks for your help again x Fifi olive and sarah xxx
Melika

Post by Melika »

It comes down to how you feel about it. It really is your decision, and I don't think there is a 'best' way. It is whatever is best for your circumstances and your relationship with your birds. Best thing about wing clipping is that it is temporary.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Sarah,

I think your birds have little motivation to relate to you. It sounds as if they have their needs met without interacting with you, and the interaction they are compelled to have is perceived as unwelcome. That is to say, your main contact is catching them (unwelcome) and shutting them up in the cage (unwelcome). Logic says you also let them out of the cage (welcome), but they may be more focused on the big picture than your part in it there, since all you need to do is open the door and step back.

I think you should add yourself to the situation through feeding. You did not mention how close you can get to the birds before they try to escape you, so a little hard to tell you where to start. I suggest you become a direct, hands-on provider of their breakfast, before they come out of the cage. They will be motivated to seek food at that time, and they will be starting the day new, not freshly spooked by anything. Of course, practice your least threatening behaviour at all time, especially when approaching the cage.

First thing in the morning, offer them the best treat through the bars. Try not to get into a habit of offering the treat and then leaving it there for them wedged in the bars. That will only teach them to eat it after you leave. Offer the treat, and take your time about it. Eat some, yourself. Be soothing. If they don't come in the generous time you allowed, take the treat and leave. Leave them in their cage with no breakfast for a little while to let them think it over. You might even try a second time. Wait a half an hour and then give the regular breakfast.

If you begin this exercise well in advance of the regular breakfast time, you won't have any emotional conflict about making their breakfast late. However, if it were me, I'd let them understand that the breakfast they expected did not come. With any luck, they will start to understand that it would be a good idea to take the food when you offer it. At the same time, they should be getting used to you coming with treats, and eventually should come along and get some. Once that happens, you have what you need for them to relate to you.

This will go much better if they are in the cage at the time. There is simply too much room in the house to get them to focus on you if they are loose at this stage. Once your birds understand taking great treats from you, you will have a lure. You should be able to get them back in the cage with this lure. You can try a lure right away, tonight, anyway. Before cage time, make a big show of putting the number one treat into their cup, place the cup in the cage, and shut the door so they cannot get the treat. When you see them go to the cage and try to get the treat, let them try for a few minutes, then open the cage, put another treat in the cup, and step back so they can go in after it. Then shut the door.

Everyone has an opinion on clipping. I cannot make that choice for you. I personally feel that it removes the "flight" from the bird's self-defense duo, "fight or flight". That leaves biting as the bird's main strategy for addressing its fear, and I don't think that makes for a good situation. Isn't it always easier to relax and face a tough situation if you know you have a way out? Also, I am sure that after a clip the bird understands that wings that were perfectly good yesterday are now malfunctioning. I can't think that would put the bird at ease. Lastly, while forcing the bird to face its fear by not letting it get away might work, I think the fear will escalate greatly before it is overcome. That's just something I am personally not comfortable doing to a friend.

Whatever you decide, it is true that clipped wings will be normal again after a molt. If you do clip, I urge you to think through how you will proceed afterwards and not just make it up as you go along. Clipping is a tool, not a magic pill.

Best wishes,
-MissK
-MissK