Question abut pellets... PLEASE HELP

Moderator: Mods

lolagirl

Question abut pellets... PLEASE HELP

Post by lolagirl »

I am switching my bird to a pellet diet. I have boughten the Zupreem brand. I am just wondering if the colored (fruit blend) is any good?? I've read so much info on it and its all contridicting. Is it good or not??
JimHcctx

Re: Question abut pellets... PLEASE HELP

Post by JimHcctx »

A few birds don’t do well on colored pellet, but it’s fairly rare although more prevalent in some species. A friend had a pair of African Greys who laid 12 eggs where the eggs were going bad. He kept mentioning that the cock was sloppy and getting food all down the front of the hen to the point she looked wet. What was happening was the hen was having an allergic reaction to the food that was being fed to her by her mate and the wet substance running down her mouth contaminated the eggs. Once the food was changed, two days later the hen produced her very first fertile egg.

Many people feed Zupreem without issue and it is probably fine for your bird. Just be aware of the possibilities and be observant.
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
Melika

Post by Melika »

It's a fine brand. Some bird species don't do well on pellets in general (eclectus in particular) and others do fine. I've read from very very good breeders and some hate pellets, others now only feed pellets. It really just depends on the bird and the results you see. Zupreem was the brand I used to use, I have no problem with it. I've been moving more toward organic foods in my own life so my bird's diet is reflecting that nowadays.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
lolagirl

Post by lolagirl »

I still feed Lola a little bit of seed... But I mostly feed her the pellets and some of the colored ones (not a whole lot though) but mostly she gets lots of fruit and veggies and she seems pretty happy. When I do feed her seeds I pick out the stuff that she really loves and save them for our training time :-)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay doesn't rate pellets very highly, I mix a few in with his seed, he much prefers fresh fruit and veggies. The pellets I have are natural coloured, plumage enhancing ones. He loves canary mix seed, it has egg biscuit in it