what to do next??

Moderator: Mods

maakk

what to do next??

Post by maakk »

i hav a female 1 year old untamed IRN. its been 3 months now. she accepts food from my hand but from a lil distance...and goes less crazyif i go near her cage. these days we open the cage...and she herself comes out and goes in also after few hours.she tries to bite us if we go near her.

she still wont let us go near her....what to do next?? so that she let us go near her...and wont bite...how to get friendly to her....and wen she comes out of the cage, she only sits on top of the cage and doesnt go anywhere esle...why so??i want to touch her how is tat to be done???
some ppl say she get used to my touch if i myself catch her and put in the cage using towel....is this a correct method?? as she herself goes in the cage as per her own will...

plzzz suggest ways to make her friendly and used to my hand....plzzz its been 3 months now...

one more thing, sometimes she opens her mouth and sticks her tongue out and shakes her beak and tongue. wat does this mean??
Little Buttercup

Re: what to do next??

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi, You lucky she goes in the cage herself so there is no need to towel her, it is a very wrong idea that, I think. She will just become scared of you if you do it. At least she is taking food from your hand, so increase the distance very slowly, in otherwords, go closer to her a wee bit every few days in such a way that she doesn't realize you are coming closer. I'm sure she will get used to you being close in the end. Have patience and take one step at a time. I have my untame Kiwi for nearly 6 months now and can't touch him yet or he won't take food from my hand but i'm not giving up yet.

Don't know what the sticking out tongue means. Maybe someone else here can tell you. Missk and Ellie seems to know alot :)

Ash
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Maakk,

Please have patience, If she is accepting food from your hand that means she trusts you to some extent. So now its your responsibility to develop the trust slowly and gradually. Dont try the towel stuff, cause if not done correctly the results are grievous.

The beak and tongue things seems to be normal. Just as every individual has a different habit, in the similar way every different parrot has different behaviors.

I wish you luck with your bird.

Subodh
maakk

Post by maakk »

thnx a lot both of you...

yesterday went close to her and holded a stick near her to teach her step up thing....but she keeps on biting the stick....and after a few times i holded it near her beak....and if a scratch her beak very very gradually.... she loves it....but if i take tat same stck near her legs or stomach she quickly grabs it by her beak.....so any ideas for how to teach her to step up on the stick..???
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Maakk,

Calm down please. It is not going to happen in a day. Have patience just go slow. You are doing the right thing by introducing the stick, but slow down buddy. You cant expect the bird to happily hop on the stick on the first day itself.

Subodh
maakk

Post by maakk »

yeah :) i know i shouldnt hurry up...i am gng quite slow.....as she is untammed....

thnx a lot for all d advices...
one more thing...
my parrot doesnt eat veggies and cereal at all...she is only having peanuts, apple and guava..tats it....how should i make her used to veggies and cereal??? as she quite old enough
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Maakk,

Here again you have to go slow introduce veggies slowly and try to keep only veggies for some time. It might happen that your bird might not eat, But even if he nibbles the veggies a bit I thinks its a good start and gradually he will eat.

Subodh