Help!! OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!

Moderator: Mods

rosebud928

Help!! OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!

Post by rosebud928 »

Hi, im new here but my family has adopted a blue indian ringneck, and he has come from a shelter from a hoarding situation. We try to make him friendly but we cant pet him and he keeps on biting instead of stepping up. How would you guys make this ringneck more sociable? Please help us we dearly love our little guy, and hes been through alot in his life.
MissK

Re: Help!! OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!

Post by MissK »

Hi Rosebud.

Is the biting the only problem? If so, I would not worry too much. When his fear subsides he should bite less often and less hard. Be sure you are all wonderful and respectful to him, gentle, patient, kind, and providing all the things he needs. Give him a month to three months. If he was hand tame before, then he just has to be reminded and reassured. Remember, however, that he is a little birdie, and not a human, and make allowances for that.

Congratulations on your new friend.

-MissK
-MissK
rosebud928

Post by rosebud928 »

I dont think that he was ever handeld before this lady had 12 birds all in poor condition there was no way he couldve been played with and yes it is only biting and not liked to be pet with either.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi.

If he has never been held, then you will have to teach him. Be aware that many, many people have trouble getting their Ringneck to want to be handled. Your first step is getting him to relax in your company. Be present in his room, sleep in front of him, eat in front of him, always being gentle and respectful. Second would probably be getting him to allow you to service the cage. Just proceed in the least upsetting way possible. Hand out a lot of treats. Helpful for both of these is having him take treats from your hand. Do not touch him before he is ready or you will start a whole other basket of trouble.

Once he is eating from your hand and following a food lure, then you have a way to communicate and you can entice/bribe him to desired behaviours, one tiny step at a time. Some people are using clicker training with astonishing results.

Best wishes. There are many threads to learn from here on the forum.

-MissK
-MissK
rosebud928

Post by rosebud928 »

Thank you so much for your help! :D I will try using this method with our ringneck